The MacRumors guide to upcoming products is designed to provide an overview of everything that we're expecting to see from Apple, both in the near and more distant future. Dates listed are not always concrete, but are based on the most recent rumors and information that we have.
We're updating the guide on a regular basis, so it will be the go-to place to see every Apple product that's on the horizon at a glance. For more detail on the rumors we've heard about each upcoming item, make sure to click on the links to visit our roundups.
First Half of 2021
Apple held an event in April 2021 and introduced AirTags, new iMac models, an updated Apple TV 4K, and refreshed versions of the 11 and 12.9-inch iPad Pro. It's not clear if we may see additional product launches in May, but it's likely the next opportunity for new devices is in June at WWDC.
Apple holds the Worldwide Developers Conference every year, and in 2021, we're expecting to see iOS 15, iPadOS 15, watchOS 8, tvOS 8, and macOS 12. Apple previously used incremental numbers for macOS updates, but given that we've already had software updates numbered macOS 11.1, we can assume that macOS updates will now go up an entire number similar to iOS updates.
We don't too much about any of these software updates as of yet, but we do know that some notification and iMessage changes are in store for iOS 15.
- iPhone 13 - We're expecting four iPhone 13 models in the same sizes as the iPhone 12 models, and Apple is planning to use the same general design. 120Hz ProMotion displays are expected, as are camera improvements, an A15 chip, and faster 5G. The iPhone 13 models will feature a smaller notch design, which will be one of the biggest design tweaks. Battery life improvements are also expected.
- Apple Watch Series 7 - Apple introduces new Apple Watch models on a yearly basis, but we don't yet know what to expect from the Series 7. We could perhaps get new health sensors, but there are no definitive rumors at this point.
Products Coming in Late 2021
- MacBook Pro - Apple is working on 14 and 16-inch MacBook Pro models that are expected in the third quarter of 2021. The new machines will feature the most significant design overhaul to the MacBook Pro line that we've seen since 2016, introducing a flat-edged design. The new MacBook Pros will charge over MagSafe, will have more ports, and will have physical function keys instead of a Touch Bar.
- MacBook Air - Apple is developing a thinner and lighter version of the MacBook Air that will have thinner bezels than the current model. The machine will feature MagSafe charging technology and a pair of USB 4 ports for connecting external devices. The new MacBook Air could come out in the second half of 2021 at the earliest, but Apple might choose to hold it until 2022.
- AirPods 3 - Apple is working on a new version of the AirPods, which will look similar to the AirPods Pro, but without Active Noise Cancellation, allowing Apple to sell them at a lower price point. There were multiple rumors suggesting the AirPods 3 would launch in the first half of 2021, likely at a spring event, but Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said in March that the earbuds aren't going to be entering mass production until the third quarter of 2021, which indicates a late 2021 launch.
- AirPods Pro - Apple is working on a new version of the AirPods Pro with a more compact design and a new wireless chip. The design is said to eliminate the short stem that sticks out from the bottom, resulting in a more rounded shape closer in design to competing wire-free earbuds from Google and Samsung.
Products With Unknown Release Dates
- iPhone 12 MagSafe Battery Pack - Apple is working on a MagSafe battery pack for the iPhone 12 models, which will attach magnetically. There's no word on when the battery pack is coming and Apple is working to overcome some technical issues, but there was a mention of the battery pack in iOS 14.5, so it could be launching in the not too distant future.
- iPad mini - There's a new version of the iPad mini coming in 2021, and there have been rumors that it could feature an 8.5 to 9-inch display, but recently leaked dummy models have not featured design changes. The refreshed iPad mini will continue to feature a Lightning port, and if there's a larger display, it will be implemented through a reduction in bezel size.
- Low-cost iPad - Apple is developing a ninth-generation version of the low-cost iPad with a 10.2-inch display and a thinner build (6.3mm) that's similar to the now-discontinued third-generation iPad Air.
- iPhone SE - Apple is rumored to be developing a new version of the iPhone SE with 5G and an upgraded processor, with a release expected in the first half of 2022.
- AR Smart Glasses - Apple is working on augmented reality smart glasses that could come at some point in the next few years. The glasses are said to feature a dedicated display, built-in processor, and an "rOS" or reality operating system. Input will be via touch panels, voice activation, and head gestures, and it's said to support applications ranging from mapping to texting. The first rumors suggested Apple's AR glasses would come in 2020, but now it's sounding like the product will see a release in 2022, though Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has said some kind of AR product is coming from Apple in 2021.
- Foldable iPhone - Apple is allegedly working on a foldable iPhone that might be between 7.5 and 8 inches, with a launch date slated for 2023 at the earliest.
- Apple Car - There have been a lot of twists and turns in the saga of Apple's electric car development, but reliable Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo believes Apple is still planning on a full autonomous vehicle rather than just an autonomous car software offering, with a launch to happen between 2023 and 2025.
2021 Product Refreshes and Announcements
We have a list of all the products that Apple has released so far in 2021.
2020 Product Refreshes and Announcements
This list of all of the products that Apple introduced in 2020 is useful for predicting some of the dates when we might see 2021 devices.
- March 2020 - iPad Pro
- March 2020 - Magic Keyboard
- March 2020 - MacBook Air
- March 2020 - Mac mini
- March 2020 - Powerbeats
- April 2020 - iPhone SE
- May 2020 - 13-inch MacBook Pro
- June 2020 - Apple Silicon chip plans
- June 2020 - iOS 14
- June 2020 - macOS Big Sur
- June 2020 - iPadOS 14
- June 2020 - watchOS 7
- June 2020 - tvOS 14
- August 2020 - 27-inch iMac
- September 2020 - Apple Watch Series 6
- September 2020 - Apple Watch SE
- September 2020 - iPad Air
- September 2020 - Eighth-Generation iPad
- October 2020 - iPhone 12 and 12 mini
- October 2020 - iPhone 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max
- October 2020 - HomePod mini
- October 2020 - MagSafe
- November 2020 - M1 MacBook Air
- November 2020 - M1 MacBook Pro
- November 2020 - M1 Mac mini
- November 2020 - macOS Big Sur
- December 2020 - AirPods Max
- December 2020 - Apple Fitness+
Know of an upcoming product that we've missed on this list or see an error that needs to be fixed? Send us an email here.