The MacRumors guide to upcoming products is designed to provide an overview of everything that we're expecting to see from Apple, both in the near and more distant future. Dates listed are not always concrete, but are based on the most recent rumors and information that we have.
We're updating the guide on a regular basis, so it will be the go to place to see every Apple product that's on the horizon at a glance. For more detail on the rumors we've heard about each upcoming item, make sure to click on the links to visit our roundups.
Rumored for the First Half of 2020
Apple held no spring event this year, but did introduce a refreshed MacBook Air, new iPad Pro models, and a new version of the iPhone SE in March and April. There are a few other rumored products that could potentially be coming in the first half of the year, with possibilities listed below.
- AirTags - Apple in iOS 13 introduced a new Find My feature that lets iOS and macOS devices be tracked even without a data connection by taking advantage of Bluetooth, and rumors suggest Apple could also expand this into a Tile-like Bluetooth tag that could be attached to any item. It may feature AR support for locating an item in a room and leashing to alert you when an item being tracked moves too far from an iPhone. Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo expects AirTags to launch in the first half of 2020.
- Small Wireless Charging Mat - Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo recently said that one of the products Apple will release in early 2020 will be a "smaller wireless charging mat," with no other context or information. It's not clear if this wireless charging mat will be a scaled down version of the AirPower, which was discontinued, or something else, but Bloomberg's Mark Gurman has suggested that Apple is still exploring ways to make the AirPower work.
Coming in Mid-2020
- iOS and iPadOS 14 - iOS and iPadOS 14 are expected to be unveiled at Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference, which is held in June, and thanks to a leaked version of the software, multiple details have been unveiled. There's a new fitness app in the works, Home screen changes, and more.
- watchOS 7 - watchOS 7 is expected to be unveiled at Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference, which is held in June. watchOS 7 could include sleep tracking capabilities and blood oxygen monitoring for new 2020 Apple Watch models.
- tvOS 14 - tvOS 14 is expected to be unveiled at Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference, which is held in June. We don't know what to expect yet.
- macOS 10.16 - macOS 10.16 is expected to be unveiled at Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference, which is held in June. We don't know what to expect yet.
Coming in Fall 2020
- iPhone 12 - Apple's 2020 iPhones will introduce some exciting improvements, based on rumors. 5G wireless chips for much faster cellular speeds are said to be coming, plus Apple is going to add a laser-powered time-of-flight 3D rear camera like the LiDAR Scanner in the iPad Pro for significant improvements to AR experiences. We could also get an all OLED lineup, with Apple finally doing away with LCD iPhones. We're expecting a 5.4-inch iPhone, a 6.7-inch iPhone, and a 6.1-inch iPhone (or possibly two 6.1-inch models), with both higher-end iPhone 11 Pro-style devices and more affordable iPhone 11-style models. A redesigned iPad Pro-style body is expected.
- Apple Watch Series 6 - The next-generation Apple Watch expected in 2020 is said to feature faster performance, better water resistance, and improved wireless transmission for faster WiFi and cellular speeds. A sleep tracking app may also be included, allowing for sleep tracking capabilities.
- HomePod - Apple is working on a smaller, cheaper HomePod that is expected to feature the same general form factor but with reduced audio quality and a smaller size. Apple is rumored to be targeting a release date in the second half of the year.
- High-End Over-Ear Headphones - Apple is rumored to be working on high-end over-ear Bluetooth headphones with an all-new design and superior sound quality. There may be two versions in development, a premium model with leather-like fabrics and a fitness-focused model with lighter, breathable materials. Detachable ear cups and headband padding may be included, which would allow these components to be swapped out. The headphones are expected to feature Active Noise Cancellation like the AirPods Pro. Apple is targeting a 2020 launch date, perhaps in the second half of 2020, and pricing could be around $350.
- Low-Cost iPad - Apple is rumored to be working on a new 10.8-inch low-cost iPad that could come in the second half of 2020.
Products With Unknown Release Dates
- MacBook Pro - Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo says Apple is working on an updated version of the 16-inch MacBook Pro, with a launch that could happen later in the year, perhaps in October or November. The new 16-inch machine could potentially include a mini-LED display. There are also rumors of a 14.1-inch MacBook Pro with a mini-LED display, but it's not clear if that's coming in 2020. Apple's plans to unveil mini-LED devices in 2020 may have been delayed until 2021.
- Apple TV Set-Top Box - Code found in an internal build of iOS 13 references a new Apple TV 11,1 model, suggesting Apple is working on an updated Apple TV. Little is known about the new device, but it could feature an A12 processor. There's no word on when we can expect a release, but it could come at any time given the hints found in iOS 13.
- 11-inch iPad Air - An iPad Air refresh is rumored to be on the horizon, and one rumor has indicated that it could feature an all-screen display with an under-display version of Touch ID along with an 11-inch size.
- Mac With Apple-Made Chip - Rumors suggest Apple is planning to transition from Intel chips to its own custom-made Mac chips as early as 2020, so we could see the first Mac with a custom chip at some point during the year. Apple already makes its A-series chips for iPhones and iPads and has added custom T2 chips to a number of Macs.
- iMac - Apple is rumored to be working on a "substantial" iMac refresh which could include a lower-priced 23-inch iMac that features reduced bezels and an updated design.
- AirPods 3 - Apple is said to have been planning to release new AirPods in March, but an event didn't take place and the AirPods were delayed. These AirPods could come as early as May, but there's no word on what new features could be included. There is some disagreement over AirPods 3, though, because reliable Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo says AirPods 3 won't come out until 2021.
- Cheaper AirPods Pro? - There have been rumors suggesting Apple is working on AirPods that have the same design as the AirPods Pro, but without Active Noise Cancellation, allowing Apple to sell them at a lower price point. AirPods rumors are a bit confused right now though. Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo believes new AirPods Pro won't come out until late 2021 and has said that rumors of new earbuds launching in the second half of 2020 are actually Beats headphones, suggesting the rumored cheaper AirPods Pro could be Beats instead.
- iPad mini 6 - Apple is rumored to be working on a ne iPad mini with mini-LED display, which could also be available in a new 8.5 to 9-inch size option. This new iPad mini is rumored to be coming in 2021.
- AR Smart Glasses - Apple is working on augmented reality smart glasses that could come at some point in the next few years. The glasses are said to feature a dedicated display, built-in processor, and an "rOS" or reality operating system. Input will be via touch panels, voice activation, and head gestures, and it's said to support applications ranging from mapping to texting. The first rumors suggested Apple's AR glasses would come in 2020, but now it's sounding like the product will see a release in 2022.
- Apple Car - There have been a lot of twists and turns in the saga of Apple's electric car development, but reliable Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo believes Apple is still planning on a full autonomous vehicle rather than just an autonomous car software offering, with a launch to happen between 2023 and 2025.
2020 Product Refreshes and Announcements So Far
Apple in March started releasing new 2020 products, with a list of the new and refreshed devices below.
- March 2020 - iPad Pro
- March 2020 - Magic Keyboard
- March 2020 - MacBook Air
- March 2020 - Mac mini
- March 2020 - Powerbeats
- April 2020 - iPhone SE
- May 2020 - 13-inch MacBook Pro
Apple's 2019 Product Refreshes
- March 2019 - iPad mini 5
- March 2019 - 10.5-inch iPad Air
- March 2019 - 4K and 5K iMacs
- March 2019 - AirPods 2
- March 2019 - Apple News+
- May 2019 - Powerbeats Pro
- May 2019 - MacBook Pro
- May 2019 - Seventh-Generation iPod touch
- July 2019 - Entry-level MacBook Pro
- July 2019 - MacBook Air
- August 2019 - Apple Card
- September 2019 - iOS 13
- September 2019 - iPadOS
- September 2019 - tvOS 13
- September 2019 - watchOS 6
- September 2019 - iPhone 11
- September 2019 - iPhone 11 Pro and Pro Max
- September 2019 - Apple Watch Series 5
- September 2019 - 7th-generation iPad
- September 2019 - Apple Arcade
- October 2019 - macOS Catalina
- October 2019 - AirPods Pro
- October 2019 - Apple TV+
- November 2019 - 16-inch MacBook Pro
- December 2019 - Mac Pro
- December 2019 - Pro Display XDR
Know of an upcoming product that we've missed on this list or see an error that needs to be fixed? Send us an email here.