The MacRumors guide to upcoming products is designed to provide an overview of everything that we're expecting to see from Apple, both in the near and more distant future. Dates listed are not always concrete, but are based on the most recent rumors and information that we have.
We're updating the guide on a regular basis, so it will be the go-to place to see every Apple product that's on the horizon at a glance. For more detail on the rumors we've heard about each upcoming item, make sure to click on the links to visit our roundups.
First Half of 2021
There are rumors that Apple will hold an event in March early in the year, where we could perhaps see new iPads and Macs that are rumored for release during the early months of 2021. All of these devices are rumored for release in the first half of 2021, but there's no guarantee they'll come in March.
- Refreshed iMac - Apple is working on a new version of the iMac with "iPad Pro design language" and thinner bezels similar to the bezels on the Pro Display XDR, which could come in late 2020 or early 2021. This iMac is also expected to have an Apple Silicon chip and an Apple-designed GPU. There are two versions in the works, and one will be 23 to 24 inches in size.
- iPad Pro - Apple is working on a new version of the 12.9-inch iPad Pro that will feature a mini-LED display and perhaps a 5G chip. Most of the iPad Pro rumors have focused on a 12.9-inch model, but there may also be an 11-inch model coming too.
- iPad mini - There's a new version of the iPad mini coming in 2021, which could measure in at 8.5 to 9 inches. It will continue to use a Lightning port, and the larger size will likely be implemented through a reduction in bezel size. It could also have a mini-LED display, though this isn't certain. The new iPad mini is expected in the first half of 2021.
- Low-cost iPad - Apple is developing a ninth-generation version of the low-cost iPad with a 10.2-inch display and a thinner build (6.3mm) that's similar to the now-discontinued third-generation iPad Air.
- AirPods 3 - Apple is working on a new version of the AirPods, which will be released in the first half of 2021. The new AirPods are expected to look similar to the AirPods Pro, but without Active Noise Cancellation, allowing Apple to sell them at a lower price point.
- AirPods Pro - Apple is working on a new version of the AirPods Pro with a more compact design and a new wireless chip. The design is said to eliminate the short stem that sticks out from the bottom, resulting in a more rounded shape closer in design to competing wire-free earbuds from Google and Samsung. Japanese site Mac Otakara believes the AirPods Pro will launch in April, but that has yet to be confirmed.
Apple holds the Worldwide Developers Conference every year, and in 2021, we're expecting to see iOS 15, iPadOS 15, watchOS 8, tvOS 8, and macOS 12. Apple previously used incremental numbers for macOS updates, but given that we've already had software updates numbered macOS 11.1, we can assume that macOS updates will now go up an entire number similar to iOS updates.
We don't know anything about any of these software updates as of yet, but we should start hearing details in early 2021.
- iPhone 13 - We're expecting four iPhone 13 models in the same sizes as the iPhone 12 models, and Apple is planning to use the same general design. Rumors suggest that one model could perhaps be portless, relying on wireless charging. 120Hz ProMotion displays are expected, as are camera improvements, an A15 chip, and faster 5G. We could also see a smaller notch, though that's not guaranteed.
- iPhone SE "Plus" - Apple is rumored to be developing a "Plus" version of the iPhone SE that has a full-screen design, no Face ID, a Touch ID power button, and a 5.5 or 6.1-inch screen size.
- Apple Watch Series 7 - Apple introduces new Apple Watch models on a yearly basis, but we don't yet know what to expect from the Series 7. We could perhaps get new health sensors, but there are no definitive rumors at this point.
Products Coming in Late 2021
- MacBook Pro - Apple is working on 14 and 16-inch MacBook Pro models that are expected in the third quarter of 2021. The new machines will feature the most significant design overhaul to the MacBook Pro line that we've seen since 2016, introducing a flat-edged design. The new MacBook Pros will charge over MagSafe, will have more ports, and will have physical function keys instead of a Touch Bar.
- Apple is developing a thinner and lighter version of the MacBook Air that will have thinner bezels than the current model. The machine will feature MagSafe charging technology and a pair of USB 4 ports for connecting external devices. The new MacBook Air could come out in the second half of 2021 at the earliest, but Apple might choose to hold it until 2022.
Products With Unknown Release Dates
- AirTags - Apple in iOS 13 introduced a new Find My feature that lets iOS and macOS devices be tracked even without a data connection by taking advantage of Bluetooth, and rumors suggest Apple could also expand this into a Tile-like Bluetooth tag that could be attached to any item. It may feature AR support for locating an item in a room and leashing to alert you when an item being tracked moves too far from an iPhone. Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo expected AirTags to launch in the first half of 2020, but that did not happen, and now he says they're coming in 2021.
- Apple TV Set-Top Box - Apple is working on a new version of the Apple TV with an updated processor and a redesigned Apple TV remote that could have a Find My-like feature that allows the remote to be tracked down when it's lost within the house. There could be two variants, one with an A12 chip and one with an A14X chip with Apple allegedly working towards console-level games for Apple Arcade. The new Apple TV is expected to launch in 2021.
- AR Smart Glasses - Apple is working on augmented reality smart glasses that could come at some point in the next few years. The glasses are said to feature a dedicated display, built-in processor, and an "rOS" or reality operating system. Input will be via touch panels, voice activation, and head gestures, and it's said to support applications ranging from mapping to texting. The first rumors suggested Apple's AR glasses would come in 2020, but now it's sounding like the product will see a release in 2022, though Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has said some kind of AR product is coming from Apple in 2021.
- Apple Car - There have been a lot of twists and turns in the saga of Apple's electric car development, but reliable Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo believes Apple is still planning on a full autonomous vehicle rather than just an autonomous car software offering, with a launch to happen between 2023 and 2025.
2020 Product Refreshes and Announcements
Apple in March started releasing new 2020 products, with a list of the new and refreshed devices below.
- March 2020 - iPad Pro
- March 2020 - Magic Keyboard
- March 2020 - MacBook Air
- March 2020 - Mac mini
- March 2020 - Powerbeats
- April 2020 - iPhone SE
- May 2020 - 13-inch MacBook Pro
- June 2020 - Apple Silicon chip plans
- June 2020 - iOS 14
- June 2020 - macOS Big Sur
- June 2020 - iPadOS 14
- June 2020 - watchOS 7
- June 2020 - tvOS 14
- August 2020 - 27-inch iMac
- September 2020 - Apple Watch Series 6
- September 2020 - Apple Watch SE
- September 2020 - iPad Air
- September 2020 - Eighth-Generation iPad
- October 2020 - iPhone 12 and 12 mini
- October 2020 - iPhone 12 Pro and 12 Max
- October 2020 - HomePod mini
- October 2020 - MagSafe
- November 2020 - M1 MacBook Air
- November 2020 - M1 MacBook Pro
- November 2020 - M1 Mac mini
- November 2020 - macOS Big Sur
- December 2020 - AirPods Max
- December 2020 - Apple Fitness+
Know of an upcoming product that we've missed on this list or see an error that needs to be fixed? Send us an email here.