guide to upcoming products is designed to provide an overview of everything that we're expecting to see from Apple, both in the near and more distant future. Dates listed are not always concrete, but are based on the most recent rumors and information that we have.
We're updating the guide on a regular basis, so it will be the go to place to see every Apple product that's on the horizon at a glance. For more detail on the rumors we've heard about each upcoming item, make sure to click on the links to visit our roundups.
- Apple TV+ - Apple TV+ will house Apple's original TV shows and movies, and it's set to launch this fall. It will be priced at $4.99 per month and it is set to launch on November 1.
Promised for 2019
- Mac Pro - Apple is working on a high-end high-throughput modular Mac Pro for its pro user base, which was shown off at WWDC. The new machine features Xeon chips with up to 28 cores, up to 1.5TB RAM, up to 2 Radeon Pro II Duo GPUs (four GPUs total), a new lattice design for thermal regulation, and eight PCIe expansion slots. The new Mac Pro starts at $5,999, and it's launching this year.
- Apple Pro Display XDR - Apple is planning to release the Apple Pro Display XDR, a professional 32-inch 6K display with a 6016 x 3384 resolution and a $4,999 price tag, which does not include a stand, which is priced at an additional $999.
Still Possible in 2019
- Apple TV Set-Top Box - Code found in an internal build of iOS 13 references a new Apple TV 11,1 model, suggesting Apple is working on an updated Apple TV. Little is known about the new device, but it could feature an A12 processor. There's no word on when we can expect a release, but it's possible this new Apple TV will debut sometime around when Apple TV+ is released.
- iPad Pro - Apple will refresh the iPad Pro lineup with updated processors in 2019 and cameras, though no other updates are expected at this time. A more substantial update will be introduced in 2020.
- MacBook Pro - The MacBook Pro already received a refresh in 2019, but there are rumors suggesting a second fall update might be in the works. For the MacBook Pro, Apple is said to be working on a new 16-inch to 16.5-inch machine that will have slimmer bezels and would be a premium machine sold alongside the existing models.
- AirTags - Apple in iOS 13 introduced a new Find My feature that lets iOS and macOS devices be tracked even without a data connection by taking advantage of Bluetooth, and rumors suggest Apple could also expand this into a Tile-like Bluetooth tag that could be attached to any item. It may feature AR support for locating an item in a room and leashing to alert you when an item being tracked moves too far from an iPhone. It's not clear when such a product might launch, but it could come in the fall when iOS 13 is released.
Coming in 2020
- iPhone 12 - Apple's 2020 iPhones will introduce some exciting improvements, based on rumors. 5G wireless chips for much faster cellular speeds are said to be coming, plus Apple is going to add a laser-powered time-of-flight 3D rear camera for significant improvements to AR experiences. We could also get an all OLED lineup, with Apple finally doing away with LCD iPhones.
- 2020 iPad Pro - The 3D camera feature coming to the 2020 iPhones might show up in 2020 iPad Pro models first. The camera will let 3D models be captured using the iPad Pro's camera and then edited with Apple Pencil. No major iPad Pro changes are planned for 2019, so we might not get another iPad Pro until 2020.
- HomePod - Apple is working on a second version of the HomePod that will feature a lower price point to make it more widely appealing to consumers. It may feature two tweeters instead of seven, which would result in lower audio quality but a more affordable price point.
- AR Smart Glasses - Apple is working on augmented reality smart glasses that could come at some point in 2020. The glasses are said to feature a dedicated display, built-in processor, and an "rOS" or reality operating system. Input will be via touch panels, voice activation, and head gestures, and it's said to support applications ranging from mapping to texting.
- Mac With Apple-Made Chip - Rumors suggest Apple is planning to transition from Intel chips to its own custom-made Mac chips as early as 2020, so we could see the first Mac with a custom chip at some point during the year. Apple already makes its A-series chips for iPhones and iPads and has added custom T2 chips to a number of Macs.
- Apple Car - There have been a lot of twists and turns in the saga of Apple's electric car development, but reliable Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo believes Apple is still planning on a full autonomous vehicle rather than just an autonomous car software offering, with a launch to happen between 2023 and 2025.
2019 Product Refreshes and Announcements So Far
Apple has already released a number of updated products in 2019, with a list of the new and refreshed devices below, along with a link to a roundup where you can learn more information about each one.
Know of an upcoming product that we've missed on this list or see an error that needs to be fixed? Send us an email here