The MacRumors guide to upcoming products is designed to provide an overview of everything that we're expecting to see from Apple, both in the near and more distant future. Dates listed are not always concrete, but are based on the most recent rumors and information that we have.
We're updating the guide on a regular basis, so it will be the go-to place to see every Apple product that's on the horizon at a glance. For more detail on the rumors we've heard about each upcoming item, make sure to click on the links to visit our roundups.
September 2020 Event
Apple held an event on Tuesday, September 15, unveiling the new Apple Watch Series 6, Apple Watch SE, iPad Air, and eighth-generation iPad.
The new 2020 iPhone lineup was not unveiled and may instead come at an event set to be held later in the year, perhaps in October.
Later in Fall 2020
If Apple isn't going to introduce iPhones at its September event, we could see a second event with more product unveilings. Below, we've highlighted products that are expected to launch later in 2020.
- iPhone 12 - Apple's 2020 iPhones will introduce some exciting improvements, based on rumors. 5G wireless chips for much faster cellular speeds are said to be coming, plus Apple is going to add a laser-powered time-of-flight 3D rear camera like the LiDAR Scanner in the iPad Pro for significant improvements to AR experiences. We could also get an all OLED lineup, with Apple finally doing away with LCD iPhones. We're expecting a 5.4-inch iPhone, a 6.7-inch iPhone, and a 6.1-inch iPhone (or possibly two 6.1-inch models), with both higher-end iPhone 11 Pro-style devices and more affordable iPhone 11-style models. A redesigned iPad Pro-style body is expected. iPhones normally launch in September, but this year's launch will be delayed by a few weeks.
- HomePod - Apple is working on a smaller, cheaper HomePod that is expected to feature the same general form factor but with reduced audio quality and a smaller size. Apple is rumored to be targeting a release date in the second half of the year.
- High-End Over-Ear Headphones - Apple is rumored to be working on high-end over-ear Bluetooth headphones with an all-new design and superior sound quality and they could be called "AirPods Studio." There may be two versions in development, a premium model with leather-like fabrics and a fitness-focused model with lighter, breathable materials. Detachable ear cups and headband padding may be included, which would allow these components to be swapped out. The headphones are expected to feature Active Noise Cancellation like the AirPods Pro. Apple is targeting a fall 2020 launch date, and pricing could be around $350.
- AirTags - Apple in iOS 13 introduced a new Find My feature that lets iOS and macOS devices be tracked even without a data connection by taking advantage of Bluetooth, and rumors suggest Apple could also expand this into a Tile-like Bluetooth tag that could be attached to any item. It may feature AR support for locating an item in a room and leashing to alert you when an item being tracked moves too far from an iPhone. Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo expected AirTags to launch in the first half of 2020, but that did not happen, and now rumors suggest a launch could happen in October alongside new iPhones.
Products With Unknown Release Dates
- Refreshed iMac - Apple refreshed the 27-inch iMac in August, but there are still rumors of a 23 to 24-inch iMac with "iPad Pro design language" and thinner bezels similar to the bezels on the Pro Display XDR, which could come in late 2020 or early 2021. This iMac is also expected to have an Apple Silicon chip and an Apple-designed GPU.
- 12-inch MacBook - While there have been rumors that the first Arm-based Mac with an Apple Silicon chip will be a MacBook Pro, Chinese language newspaper The China Times believes Apple is working on a new variant of the 12-inch Retina MacBook that weighs less than one kilogram (2.2lbs). The MacBook is said to feature an A14X processor codenamed "Tonga," which will have a battery life between 15 and 20 hours. The site says that the machine could launch in 2020, but most Arm-based rumors have focused on the MacBook Pro and iMac.
- Small Wireless Charging Mat - Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo believes that one of the products Apple will release in 2020 will be a "smaller wireless charging mat," with no other context or information. It's not clear if this wireless charging mat will be a scaled down version of the AirPower, which was discontinued, or something else, but Bloomberg's Mark Gurman has suggested that Apple is still exploring ways to make the AirPower work.
- MacBook Pro - Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo says Apple is working on an updated version of the 16-inch MacBook Pro, with a launch that could happen later in the year, perhaps in October or November. The new 16-inch machine could potentially include a mini-LED display. There are also rumors of a 14.1-inch MacBook Pro with a mini-LED display, but it's not clear if that's coming in 2020. Apple's plans to unveil mini-LED devices in 2020 may have been delayed until 2021, however.
- Mac With Apple-Made Chip - Apple's first Mac with an Apple Silicon chip is expected before the end of 2020, but Apple has not provided a specific date.
- Apple TV Set-Top Box - Apple is working on a new version of the Apple TV with an updated processor and a redesigned Apple TV remote that could have a Find My-like feature that allows the remote to be tracked down when it's lost within the house. The new Apple TV is expected to launch in 2021.
- AirPods 3 - Apple is said to have been planning to release new AirPods in March, but an event didn't take place and the AirPods were delayed. There have been rumors suggesting Apple is working on AirPods that have the same design as the AirPods Pro, but without Active Noise Cancellation, allowing Apple to sell them at a lower price point. AirPods rumors are a bit confused right now though. Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo believes new AirPods Pro won't come out until late 2021
- iPad mini 6 - Apple is rumored to be working on a ne iPad mini with mini-LED display, which could also be available in a new 8.5 to 9-inch size option. This new iPad mini is rumored to be coming in 2021.
- AR Smart Glasses - Apple is working on augmented reality smart glasses that could come at some point in the next few years. The glasses are said to feature a dedicated display, built-in processor, and an "rOS" or reality operating system. Input will be via touch panels, voice activation, and head gestures, and it's said to support applications ranging from mapping to texting. The first rumors suggested Apple's AR glasses would come in 2020, but now it's sounding like the product will see a release in 2022.
- Apple Car - There have been a lot of twists and turns in the saga of Apple's electric car development, but reliable Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo believes Apple is still planning on a full autonomous vehicle rather than just an autonomous car software offering, with a launch to happen between 2023 and 2025.
2020 Product Refreshes and Announcements So Far
Apple in March started releasing new 2020 products, with a list of the new and refreshed devices below.
- March 2020 - iPad Pro
- March 2020 - Magic Keyboard
- March 2020 - MacBook Air
- March 2020 - Mac mini
- March 2020 - Powerbeats
- April 2020 - iPhone SE
- May 2020 - 13-inch MacBook Pro
- June 2020 - Apple Silicon chip plans
- June 2020 - iOS 14
- June 2020 - macOS Big Sur
- June 2020 - iPadOS 14
- June 2020 - watchOS 7
- June 2020 - tvOS 14
- August 2020 - 27-inch iMac
- September 2020 - Apple Watch Series 6
- September 2020 - Apple Watch SE
- September 2020 - iPad Air
- September 2020 - Eighth-Generation iPad
Apple's 2019 Product Refreshes
- March 2019 - iPad mini 5
- March 2019 - 10.5-inch iPad Air
- March 2019 - 4K and 5K iMacs
- March 2019 - AirPods 2
- March 2019 - Apple News+
- May 2019 - Powerbeats Pro
- May 2019 - MacBook Pro
- May 2019 - Seventh-Generation iPod touch
- July 2019 - Entry-level MacBook Pro
- July 2019 - MacBook Air
- August 2019 - Apple Card
- September 2019 - iOS 13
- September 2019 - iPadOS
- September 2019 - tvOS 13
- September 2019 - watchOS 6
- September 2019 - iPhone 11
- September 2019 - iPhone 11 Pro and Pro Max
- September 2019 - Apple Watch Series 5
- September 2019 - 7th-generation iPad
- September 2019 - Apple Arcade
- October 2019 - macOS Catalina
- October 2019 - AirPods Pro
- October 2019 - Apple TV+
- November 2019 - 16-inch MacBook Pro
- December 2019 - Mac Pro
- December 2019 - Pro Display XDR
Know of an upcoming product that we've missed on this list or see an error that needs to be fixed? Send us an email here.