Apple's Beats brand in April unveiled the Powerbeats Pro, a redesigned wire-free version of its popular fitness-oriented Powerbeats earbuds.
Upcoming Apple Products Guide: Everything We Expect to See in 2019 and Beyond
We're updating the guide on a regular basis, so it will be the go to place to see every Apple product that's on the horizon at a glance. For more detail on the rumors we've heard about each upcoming item, make sure to click on the links to visit our roundups.
Coming in Summer
- Apple Card - Apple is launching a new credit card linked to Apple Pay and built right into the Wallet app, partnering with Goldman Sachs for the card. It will give 3% cash back rewards for Apple-related purchases, 2% rewards for Apple Pay purchases, and 1% cash back on all other purchases. Along with digital support, there will be a physical titanium card for in-person purchases.
Coming in September
- 2019 iPhones - We're expecting three iPhones in 2019 that are similar to the iPhone XS, XS Max, and XR. We'll get two OLED models (XS and XS Max successors) and one LED model (XR successor), with no significant design changes, though there could be a new frosted glass back and a smaller notch, but rumors are mixed on this last point. The iPhone XS and XS Max successors will feature an improved triple-lens camera while the iPhone XR will use dual-lens cameras and could come in two new colors. We've heard rumors of USB-C, but it ultimately sounds like the 2019 iPhones will stick with Lightning, and we can also expect an A13 chip along with faster LTE and WiFi, bigger batteries, and a new bilateral wireless charging feature that will let the 2019 iPhones wirelessly charge other devices.
- Apple Watch Series 5 - Rumors suggest Apple Watch Series 5 will feature a new ceramic casing design, suggesting a return of the Apple Watch Edition. Expanded ECG support for additional countries is also expected in 2019, with the feature likely to be available in Series 4 and new Series 5 models. New health features have also been rumored for years, such as non-invasive blood glucose monitoring. A micro-LED display is a possibility, as are solid state buttons. We don't yet know what to expect from the next Apple Watch, but Apple reliably updates it every September just like the iPhone.
- Apple TV+ - Apple TV+ will house Apple's original TV shows and movies, and it's set to launch this fall. No pricing has been announced, but it would make sense for it to launch alongside new iPhones.
- New Software - Apple at WWDC introduced iOS 13, iPadOS, tvOS 13, watchOS 6, and macOS Catalina, all of which will launch this fall alongside new iPhones and other new hardware
- Apple Arcade - Fall will also see the launch of the Apple Arcade service, which is a new gaming service that will offer access to more than 100 new and premium games for a monthly fee. Cost and exact launch date haven't been announced, but this service also makes sense to launch when new iPhones come out.
Later in 2019
- Mac Pro - Apple is working on a high-end high-throughput modular Mac Pro for its pro user base, which was shown off at WWDC. The new machine features Xeon chips with up to 28 cores, up to 1.5TB RAM, up to 2 Radeon Pro II Duo GPUs (four GPUs total), a new lattice design for thermal regulation, and eight PCIe expansion slots. The new Mac Pro starts at $5,999, and it's launching this fall, perhaps in September according to a leaked date Apple may have leaked.
- Apple Pro Display XDR - Apple is planning to release the Apple Pro Display XDR, a professional 32-inch 6K display with a 6016 x 3384 resolution and a $4,999 price tag, which does not include a stand, which is priced at an additional $999.
- Apple TV Dongle - Rumors suggest Apple is considering a lower-cost Apple TV dongle similar to the Amazon Fire Stick or Google Chromecast, which would be available at a lower price than the current Apple TV set top boxes. Such a dongle would be able to be plugged into the back of a TV and would be used to promote the company's upcoming streaming TV service.
- HomePod - We've heard rumors suggesting Apple is working on a lower-cost HomePod option that would better compete with offerings from Amazon and Google.
- High-end Over-Ear Headphones - To round out its audio offerings of the HomePod and AirPod, Apple is reportedly developing Apple-branded over-ear high-end headphones. Sound quality is said to be a major focus, and Apple will include active noise-cancellation. We don't know just when the headphones will launch, but the second half of 2019 is rumored.
- iPad Pro - Apple will refresh the iPad Pro lineup with updated processors in 2019, according to reliable Apple analyst Ming Chi Kuo, though no other updates are expected at this time. A more substantial update will be introduced in 2020.
- MacBook and MacBook Air - There are no specific rumors about notebook updates, but the MacBook is in need of a refresh since it didn't get a 2018 update, and Apple could also introduce a minor spec update in the MacBook Air, There's been some speculation that the MacBook will be Apple's first ARM-based notebook with a custom chip, but that's not expected till 2020.
Coming in 2020
- 2020 iPhones - Apple's 2020 iPhones will introduce some exciting improvements, based on rumors. 5G wireless chips for much faster cellular speeds are said to be coming, plus Apple is going to add a laser-powered time-of-flight 3D rear camera for significant improvements to AR experiences. We could also get an all OLED lineup, with Apple finally doing away with LCD iPhones.
- 2020 iPad Pro - The 3D camera feature coming to the 2020 iPhones might show up in 2020 iPad Pro models first. The camera will let 3D models be captured using the iPad Pro's camera and then edited with Apple Pencil. No major iPad Pro changes are planned for 2019, so we might not get another iPad Pro until 2020.
- AR Smart Glasses - Apple is working on augmented reality smart glasses that could come at some point in 2020. The glasses are said to feature a dedicated display, built-in processor, and an "rOS" or reality operating system. Input will be via touch panels, voice activation, and head gestures, and it's said to support applications ranging from mapping to texting.
- Mac With Apple-Made Chip - Rumors suggest Apple is planning to transition from Intel chips to its own custom-made Mac chips as early as 2020, so we could see the first Mac with a custom chip at some point during the year. Apple already makes its A-series chips for iPhones and iPads and has added custom T2 chips to a number of Macs.
- Apple Car - There have been a lot of twists and turns in the saga of Apple's electric car development, but reliable Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo believes Apple is still planning on a full autonomous vehicle rather than just an autonomous car software offering, with a launch to happen between 2023 and 2025.
2019 Product Refreshes and Announcements So Far
Apple has already released a number of updated products in 2019, with a list of the new and refreshed devices below, along with a link to a roundup where you can learn more information about each one.
- March 2019 - iPad mini 5
- March 2019 - 10.5-inch iPad Air
- March 2019 - 4K and 5K iMacs
- March 2019 - AirPods 2
- March 2019 - Apple News+
- May 2019 - Powerbeats Pro
- May 2019 - MacBook Pro
- Coming Sept 2019 - iOS 13
- Coming Sept 2019 - iPadOS
- Coming Sept 2019 - tvOS 13
- Coming Sept 2019 - watchOS 6
- Coming Sept 2019 - macOS Catalina
Know of an upcoming product that we've missed on this list or see an error that needs to be fixed? Send us an email here.