iOS 16.5 Now Available for Your iPhone With These New Features
Following around seven weeks of beta testing, iOS 16.5 was released to the public last week. The software update is a minor one, but includes a few new features and changes for the iPhone. To install an iOS update, open the Settings app on the iPhone, tap General → Software Update, and follow the on-screen instructions.
Below, we have recapped new features and changes in iOS 16.5, including a Pride Celebration wallpaper and a Sports tab in the Apple News app. The update also includes bug fixes related to CarPlay, Screen Time, and Spotlight.
iOS 16.5's release comes just a few weeks ahead of Apple previewing iOS 17 with bigger changes during its WWDC keynote on June 5.
iOS 16.5 includes a new Pride Celebration wallpaper designed to match the new Pride Edition band for the Apple Watch.
Sports Tab in Apple News
Apple has added a Sports tab to the News app on iOS 16.5, giving you easy access to news, scores, and schedules for your favorite teams and leagues. This information was previously available in the Today tab, but it is now featured more prominently as Apple continues to push deeper into sports content across its services.
iOS 16.5 Release Notes
This update includes the following enhancements and bug fixes:
- A new Pride Celebration wallpaper for the Lock Screen to honor the LGBTQ+ community and culture
- Sports tab in Apple News gives easy access to stories, scores, standings, and more, for the teams and leagues you follow
- My Sports score and schedule cards in Apple News take you directly to game pages where you can find additional details about specific games
- Fixes an issue where Spotlight may become unresponsive
- Addresses an issue where Podcasts in CarPlay may not load content
- Fixes an issue where Screen Time settings may reset or not sync across all devices