These 12 New iOS 17 Features Are Coming Later This Year
iOS 17 was released in September for the iPhone XS and newer. The software update includes a wide range of new features, but not all of them are available right away.
Below, we have listed features that Apple says are coming "later this year" in a future update.
An all-new Journal app will allow iPhone users to reflect on their day and memories, complete with text, photos, music, audio recordings, and more. The app will provide personalized suggestions based on recent on-device activity.
iOS 17.1 is nearing release without any sign of the Journal app, so it is looking likely that it will be introduced as part of iOS 17.2.
Collaborative Apple Music Playlists
A new Collaborative Playlists feature for Apple Music will allow multiple people to add, reorder, and remove songs in a shared playlist.
iMessage Contact Key Verification
In December 2022, Apple previewed a new iMessage Contact Key Verification security feature and said it would launch globally in 2023. That means the feature would be added in an iOS 17 update if it remains on track to launch this year.
iMessage Contact Key Verification will allow users who face "extraordinary digital threats," such as journalists, human rights activists, and government officials, to further verify that they are messaging only with the people they intend. In conversations between users who have enabled iMessage Contact Key Verification, users are alerted if a state-sponsored attacker or other malicious actor were ever to succeed breaching cloud servers and inserting their own device to eavesdrop on the conversation.
As an additional layer of security, iMessage Contact Key Verification users will be able to compare a Contact Verification Code in person, on FaceTime, or through another secure call to further verify they are communicating only with whom they intend.
At WWDC 2022, Apple previewed the next generation of CarPlay, which will feature support for multiple displays, widgets, and integration with vehicle functions like the instrument cluster, climate controls, and FM radio.
Apple said the first vehicles with support for the next-generation CarPlay experience would be announced in late 2023, with committed automakers including Acura, Audi, Ford, Honda, Jaguar, Land Rover, Mercedes-Benz, Nissan, Porsche, Volvo, and others. This timeframe means next-generation CarPlay would be part of an iOS 17 update.
More iOS 17 Features Coming Later This Year
- React to a message with any sticker through the Tapback menu in the Messages app.
- A catch-up arrow for group conversations in the Messages app.
- Sync additional settings with Messages in iCloud, such as Text Message Forwarding, Send & Receive accounts, and SMS filters across devices.
- Play or pause a podcast or Apple News+ audio story in the Apple News widget.
- Favorite Songs playlist in Music app.
- Intelligent form detection and enhanced AutoFill for PDFs.
- Audio Focus feature for Apple Fitness+ that prioritizes the volume of either the music or the trainers' voices depending on your preference.
- Apple ID proximity sign-in with an existing signed-in and trusted iPhone or iPad when setting up a new Apple device.
iOS 17.1 is expected to be released to the public in late October, and the first beta of iOS 17.2 should be available days later.