Apple Hiring Maps Engineer to Work on Improved Community Crowdsourcing, Siri/Passbook Integration

Apple is continuing to work on improvements to its Maps app for iOS and OS X, and a new job listing suggests that better use of crowdsourcing and integration with Siri and Passbook are the next features the company will introduce to provide a better Maps experience.

The job posting, first shared by 9to5Mac, seeks a "Maps Community Client Software Engineer" to join Apple's Maps team. The engineer will focus on "building and extending the Maps application to allow Apple to crowdsource improvements to the Maps experience," and the position calls for high-level UI development and refining of the "Report a Problem" feature in Maps.

applemaps
According to the job description, deeper integration between Maps and other system services like Passbook and Siri may be on the horizon to improve crowdsourcing.

As an engineer working on Maps Community, your primary responsibility will be high-level UI development and architecture of the "Report a Problem" feature of the Maps application, and you will work closely with designers and engineers across the company to add new features and build the very best crowd-sourcing experience. You'll also be working on the frameworks and plugins that enable Maps to integrate deeply and seamlessly with parts of the system such as Siri and Passbook, to extend and enhance the feedback experience.

Since Maps received a highly critical reception following its launch alongside iOS 6, Apple has gone to great lengths to improve the software by leaps and bounds. In addition to terminating several people involved with the Maps project and restructuring its entire executive structure, the company has also acquired a glut of mapping companies over the past several years, including C3 Technologies, Broadmap, Embark, Hopstop, WifiSlam, Locationary, and most recently, the developers behind Pin Drop.

The company has also hired a range of "ground truth experts" around the world to improve the quality of the information given by its Maps app, and it's utilized crowdsourcing to introduce significant improvements to Points of Interest (POI) data.

Apple is said to be working to add much-needed features like transit directions and indoor mapping improvements to Maps, but development has reportedly been stymied by internal issues and poor project management.

iOS 17

Apple Sheds More Light on iOS 17.5 Bug That Resurfaced Deleted Photos

Friday May 24, 2024 2:36 am PDT by

Traverse Avatar
I used Maps yesterday to get me between two towns. It worked flawlessly. I realize that my experience isn't like some (most?) other's, but I haven't had any issue with Maps.
chewbaka Avatar
Big problem I have is when I search for something, say, Little Ceasars, and it suggests one that is 1000 miles away. There's two within 30 miles that I know of, it knows where I am, heck, it even knows where the two I know about are if I say "Little Caesars <town>", but it just doesn't seem to be even remotely intelligent when it comes to sorting results.

This kind of issue comes up with all chains. Starbucks, Six Flags, Wendy's, Target... You name it, Apple Maps will suggest one thousands of miles away before it suggests one down the street (when you don't specify the town).

The real issue here is you are willing to drive 30 miles for Little Caesars.
Rogifan Avatar
I hope they get their act together soon.

There is a lot Eddy's team needs to get its act together on. Either he has too much on his plate or Tim needs to bring someone in that can move this stuff forward. TV is getting its butt kicked by competitor offerings, iTunes is a bloated mess and how embarrassing will it be if Microsoft integrates Cortana with Windows desktop before Siri comes to the Mac.
gluckett Avatar
Shouldn't they have acquired these specific people before releasing maps? to two years after?

Oh well. Better late than never. I just hope they create an Apple Maps editor, I'd be much more inclined to contribute fixing the maps if I could do so easily. I've probably altered/fixed every single POI within my 3 mile radius.

I have tried reporting multiple POI errors around me as well, but finally gave up because not one of them has been addressed yet.
rwilliams Avatar
It would be nice if they could release periodic updates to Maps the way they do their non-bundled apps (the iWork suite, Remote, etc.).
PowerBook-G5 Avatar
I don't know anyone who uses apple maps, it sucks rhino dung. IDK why they keep throwing money at it, they will never catch google. SMH.

Hi? I actually use Apple Maps all the time, from navigating through DC and New York to Northeastern PA and almost everywhere between, with minimal issues. I haven't driven through any rivers or off any cliffs yet :p