Apple Releases Second Public Betas of iOS 16.5 and iPadOS 16.5
Apple today seeded the second betas of upcoming iOS 16.5 and iPadOS 16.5 updates to public beta testers, allowing non-developers to test out the software head of its official launch. The second public betas come two weeks after the first public betas, and a day after the second developer betas.
Those who have signed up their accounts for Apple's free beta testing program can enable the beta by opening up the Settings app, going to General, selecting Software Update, tapping on Beta Updates, and selecting the iOS 16 Public Beta option.
iOS 16.5 appears to be a relatively minor update, and few changes were found in the first developer beta. There is a new Sports tab located in the Apple News app, and Siri can now be asked to start a screen recording.
Development on iOS 16 is slowing down as Apple prepares for the upcoming June debut of iOS 17, the next-generation version of iOS.
Top Rated Comments
[HEADING=3]New Features ('https://developer.apple.com/documentation/ios-ipados-release-notes/ios-ipados-16_5-release-notes#New-Features')[/HEADING]
* A shared administrator in a home is now able to pair and add Matter accessories. (106449382)
[HEADING=3]Resolved Issues ('https://developer.apple.com/documentation/ios-ipados-release-notes/ios-ipados-16_5-release-notes#Resolved-Issues')[/HEADING]
* Fixed: When a manual software update is attempted on a Matter accessory with an available update, Home might not indicate that the update has been requested and continue to indicate an update is available. (104902918)
* Fixed: Accessory paring by shared administrators will fail if Home hubs are running versions prior than tvOS 16.5 beta. (105204882)
* Fixed: Software updates for Matter accessories might be offered again even though the update already completed successfully. (106768113)
* Fixed: Shared administrators aren’t able to pair the first Matter accessory in a Home. (107073942
* iOS 16.5 beta 2 (20F5039e) - April 11, 2023
* iPadOS 16.5 beta 2 (20F5039e) - April 11, 2023
* macOS 13.4 beta 2 (22F5037d) - April 11, 2023
* watchOS 9.5 beta 2 (20T5538d) - April 11, 2023
* tvOS 16.5 beta 2 (20L5538d) - April 11, 2023
After install it had screens like a new phone setup:
- hello screen
- select Wi-Fi (I don’t use Wi-Fi at home my iPhone hotspot is my Wi-Fi). I was able to use next button without choosing a network.
- different screen for unlocking sim.
- then analytics yes/no.
- then “updated to 16.5, get started”.
All a bit weird. But it worked.