Apple Maps Cycling Directions Now Available Across California and Seattle

Starting with iOS 14, Apple Maps gained support for cycling directions, which take into account elevation, how busy a street is, and whether there are stairs along the route. The feature launched in a limited number of regions, but it has been gradually expanding, and as of this week is now available in Seattle and more areas of California.

apple maps cycling directions trio
iPhone users in Seattle and across California have been receiving push notifications letting them know about cycling direction availability this week, and these locations are now reflected on Apple's iOS feature availability page.

In addition to Seattle and California, Apple says cycling directions are available in mainland China, London, New York City, and Portland, Oregon.

(Thanks, Virginia!)

Return Zero Avatar
This is one of the few reasons I still open google maps... can't wait until this goes nationwide (US) along with the new review system. Then I'll be able to delete the last remaining google app on my phone!!
Karma*Police Avatar
Apple’s maps “progress” has been disappointing at best. It’s as if they‘re doing just enough to remain 5 years behind Google. I wish Apple would spend a fraction of the billions they’re spending to buy back stock to license Google‘s maps data... but definitely retain ownership of the UI.
hagar Avatar
The most annoying thing about this: the list of unavailable features in my country (Belgium) is getting longer instead of shorter. I'm still waiting for realtime transit, speed-limits, cycling and of course the new Waze like reports.
sdz Avatar
Could be 2030
When this will be available in my ****** country. Apple what are you doing?
BobHinden Avatar
I think this is good, but what I would like to see is a way of showing bike paths/lanes/etc. Google maps does this pretty well.

I typically ride my bike for exercise where I do a trip from my house and back to my house. Getting directions isn't useful for that :)

What would be great is to tell it I want to do a ride for 20 miles and have it suggest some bike friendly routes.
nikolasC Avatar
Apple, if you claim you are doing so much for the environment give us the tools to ride our bikes so we can do our part!