Apple CEO Tim Cook to Speak at United Nations Climate Ambition Summit on Saturday
Apple CEO Tim Cook is set to speak at the United Nations Climate Ambition Summit on Saturday, December 12, reports Reuters.
Co-hosted by the United Nations, the UK, and France, the summit is being held on the fifth anniversary of the international Paris climate agreement and ahead of U.N. talks next year in Glasgow, Scotland. From the Climate Summit website:
Leaders across government, business and civil society will gather for this online summit as the world deals with coronavirus. But the science is as urgent as ever and tells us that we need to limit the rise in global temperature to 1.5C degrees. We know climate change will not wait. Action must be taken now, together, for our planet, so we can build back better.
The Summit will provide a meaningful platform for civil society, young people and Indigenous Peoples representatives, many of whom disproportionately experience the impacts of climate change. Climate change must also be tackled by entire systems and we therefore also want to provide a platform for businesses, cities and other non-state actors who are rallying together and collaborating to support governments and accelerate the systemic change required to reduce emissions and build resilience.
Cook will likely speak about Apple's environmental efforts. The Cupertino company recently pledged to make all of its products carbon neutral by 2030.
Apple's stores, offices, and data centers worldwide are already powered by 100% renewable electricity, and its operations, from commute to business travel, are carbon neutral. The company is aiming to transition its supply chain to 100 percent renewable energy as well to reach its carbon neutral goal by 2030.
Note: Due to the political or social nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Political News forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.
Apple says iOS 16.4 is coming in the spring, which began this week. In his Sunday newsletter, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman said the update should be released "in the next three weeks or so," meaning a public release is likely in late March or early April.
iOS 16.4 remains in beta testing and introduces a handful of new features and changes for the iPhone. Below, we have recapped five new features ...
Apple is tracking the attendance of its employees at offices using badge records in order to ensure they are coming in at least three times a week, according to Platformer's Zoë Schiffer.
Since April 2022, Apple employees have been operating on a hybrid home/office work policy as part of a gradual return strategy following the pandemic, with staff required to work from the office at least...
While the iPhone 15 series is still around six months away from launching, there have already been plenty of rumors about the devices. Many new features and changes have been rumored for the iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max in particular.
Below, we have recapped 10 changes rumored for iPhone 15 Pro models that are not expected to be available on the standard iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus:A1...
This year, all iPhone 15 models will include Apple's Dynamic Island that unifies the pill and hole cutouts at the top of the display, but there will also be a material change to the feature that wasn't included in the iPhone 14 Pro models.
According to a new tweet by Apple industry analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, the proximity sensor on the iPhone 15 series will be integrated inside the Dynamic Island ...
Nothing today announced the launch of its second-generation wireless earbuds, the Nothing Ear (2), which offer many of the same features as Apple's AirPods Pro 2 at a lower price point. We went hands-on with the Ear (2) earbuds to see whether they're a viable alternative to the AirPods Pro 2 for those who want to save some cash.
The Ear (2) earbuds are the successor to the Nothing Ear (1),...
The iOS 16.4 update that is set to be released to the public in the near future includes voice isolation for cellular calls, according to notes that Apple shared today.
Apple says that Voice Isolation will prioritize your voice and block out the ambient noise around you, making for clearer phone calls where you can better hear the person you're chatting with and vice versa.
Apple is no longer allowing customers who purchase an iPhone, cellular iPad, or Apple Watch to activate a device with now-defunct mobile carrier Sprint. Apple has also removed remaining references to Sprint from its online store.
When checking out with a new purchase, Sprint is no longer an option for connectivity, a change that Apple appears to have implemented today. Prior to now, Sprint...
The iOS 16.4 release candidate version that was provided to developers today appears to hint at a new set of AirPods that could be coming in the near future. According to @aaronp613, the beta features references to AirPods that have a model number of A3048 and an AirPods case with a model number of A2968.
There have been no rumors that new AirPods are on the horizon, and it is early for...
Top Rated Comments
2. 1969 ('https://www.nytimes.com/1969/08/10/archives/foe-of-pollution-sees-lack-of-time-asserts-environmental-ills.html'): Everyone Will Disappear In a Cloud Of Blue Steam By 1989 (1969)
3. 1970 ('https://www.newspapers.com/image/435402308/'): Ice Age By 2000
4. 1970 ('https://www.newspapers.com/image/934139/?terms=paul%2Behrlich%2Bblue%2Bsmoke'): America Subject to Water Rationing By 1974 and Food Rationing By 1980
5. 1971 ('https://web.archive.org/web/20160805020812/http:/pqasb.pqarchiver.com/washingtonpost_historical/doc/148085303.html?FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:AI&type=historic&date=html+%2C+&author=By+Victor+Cohn%7C%7C%7C%7C%7C%7CWashington+Post+Staff+Writer&pub=The+Washington+Post%2C+Times+Herald++%281959-1973%29&desc=U.S.+Scientist+Sees+New+Ice+Age+Coming&pqatl=top_retrieves'): New Ice Age Coming By 2020 or 2030
6. 1972 ('https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/outreach/CDPW40/CD&PW_reeves_denver.pdf'): New Ice Age By 2070
7. 1974 ('https://www.newspapers.com/image/259696938/?terms=new%2Bice%2Bage'): Space Satellites Show New Ice Age Coming Fast
8. 1974 ('http://web.archive.org/web/20060812025725/http:/time-proxy.yaga.com/time/archive/printout/0,23657,944914,00.html'): Another Ice Age?
9. 1974 ('https://www.newspapers.com/image/69651456/?terms=ozon%2Bdepletion'): Ozone Depletion a ‘Great Peril to Life (data ('https://ozonewatch.gsfc.nasa.gov/meteorology/annual_data.html') and graph ('https://ourworldindata.org/ozone-layer'))
10. 1976 ('https://www.nytimes.com/1976/07/18/archives/the-genesis-strategy-a-chilling-prospect.html'): Scientific Consensus Planet Cooling, Famines imminent
11. 1980 ('https://www.newspapers.com/image/353862247/?terms=%22acid%2Brain%22%2Band%2Bkill%2Bbefore'): Acid Rain Kills Life In Lakes (additional link ('https://www.newspapers.com/image/546105274/?terms=%22acid%2Brain%22%2Band%2BNAPAP'))
12. 1978 ('https://timesmachine.nytimes.com/timesmachine/1978/01/05/issue.html'): No End in Sight to 30-Year Cooling Trend (additional link ('https://www.drroyspencer.com/latest-global-temperatures/'))
13. 1988 ('https://realclimatescience.com/2019/05/hansen-got-everything-wrong-alarmists-claim-victory/'): Regional Droughts (that never happened) in 1990s
14. 1988 ('https://realclimatescience.com/2019/05/hansen-got-everything-wrong-alarmists-claim-victory/'): Temperatures in DC Will Hit Record Highs
15. 1988 ('http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/102074798'): Maldive Islands will Be Underwater by 2018 (they’re not)
16. 1989 ('https://www.newspapers.com/image/247922164/?terms=global%2Bwarming%2Bnoel%2Bbrown'): Rising Sea Levels will Obliterate Nations if Nothing Done by 2000
17. 1989 ('https://wayback.archive.org/web/20110202162233/https:/www.salon.com/books/int/2001/10/23/weather/'): New York City’s West Side Highway Underwater by 2019 (it’s not)
18. 2000 ('https://web.archive.org/web/20150912124604/http:/www.independent.co.uk/environment/snowfalls-are-now-just-a-thing-of-the-past-724017.html'): Children Won’t Know what Snow Is
19. 2002 ('https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2004/feb/22/usnews.theobserver'): Famine In 10 Years If We Don’t Give Up Eating Fish, Meat, and Dairy
20. 2004 ('https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2004/feb/22/usnews.theobserver'): Britain will Be Siberia by 2024
21. 2008 ('https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1988&dat=20080624&id=7mgiAAAAIBAJ&sjid=7qkFAAAAIBAJ&pg=5563,4123490'): Arctic will Be Ice Free by 2018
22. 2008 ('https://wattsupwiththat.com/2018/12/16/ten-years-ago-algore-predicted-the-north-polar-ice-cap-would-be-gone-inconveniently-its-still-there/'): Climate Genius Al Gore Predicts Ice-Free Arctic by 2013
23. 2009 ('https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/green-living/just-96-months-to-save-world-says-prince-charles-1738049.html'): Climate Genius Prince Charles Says we Have 96 Months to Save World
24. 2009 ('http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2009/12/gore-new-study-sees-nearly-ice-free-arctic-summer-ice-cap-as-early-as-2014/1#.XVm6Py2ZNu3'): UK Prime Minister Says 50 Days to ‘Save The Planet From Catastrophe’
25. 2009 ('https://www.theguardian.com/environment/earth-insight/2013/jul/24/arctic-ice-free-methane-economy-catastrophe'): Climate Genius Al Gore Moves 2013 Prediction of Ice-Free Arctic to 2014
26. 2013 ('https://www.theguardian.com/environment/earth-insight/2013/jul/24/arctic-ice-free-methane-economy-catastrophe'): Arctic Ice-Free by 2015 (additional link ('https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-017-02550-9'))
27. 2014 ('https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/weekly-standard/planet-still-standing-500-days-after-french-foreign-minister-warned-of-climate-chaos'): Only 500 Days Before ‘Climate Chaos’
28. 1968 ('https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/book-incited-worldwide-fear-overpopulation-180967499/'): Overpopulation Will Spread Worldwide
29. 1970 ('http://www.mining.com/the-world-is-not-running-out-of-natural-resources/'): World Will Use Up All its Natural Resources
30. 1966 ('https://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/weve-been-incorrectly-predicting-peak-oil-for-over-a-ce-1668986354'): Oil Gone in Ten Years
31. 1972 ('https://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/weve-been-incorrectly-predicting-peak-oil-for-over-a-ce-1668986354'): Oil Depleted in 20 Years
32. 1977 ('https://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/weve-been-incorrectly-predicting-peak-oil-for-over-a-ce-1668986354'): Department of Energy Says Oil will Peak in 1990s
33. 1980 ('https://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/weve-been-incorrectly-predicting-peak-oil-for-over-a-ce-1668986354'): Peak Oil In 2000
34. 1996 ('https://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/weve-been-incorrectly-predicting-peak-oil-for-over-a-ce-1668986354'): Peak Oil in 2020
35. 2002 ('https://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/weve-been-incorrectly-predicting-peak-oil-for-over-a-ce-1668986354'): Peak Oil in 2010
36. 2006 ('https://www.breitbart.com/the-media/2015/06/01/media-fail-no-major-hurricanes-in-9-years/'): Super Hurricanes!
37. 2005 ('https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/scott-whitlock/2015/06/12/flashback-abcs-08-prediction-nyc-under-water-climate-change-june') : Manhattan Underwater by 2015
38. 1970 ('https://www.aei.org/publication/18-spectacularly-wrong-predictions-made-around-the-time-of-first-earth-day-in-1970-expect-more-this-year-2/'): Urban Citizens Will Require Gas Masks by 1985
39. 1970 ('https://www.aei.org/publication/18-spectacularly-wrong-predictions-made-around-the-time-of-first-earth-day-in-1970-expect-more-this-year-2/'): Nitrogen buildup Will Make All Land Unusable
40. 1970 ('https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2018/11/27/nolte-only-anti-science-suckers-believe-climate-change-hysteria/'): Decaying Pollution Will Kill all the Fish
41. 1970s ('https://groovyhistory.com/killer-bees-1970s'): Killer Bees!
42. 1975 ('http://www.denisdutton.com/cooling_world.htm'): The Cooling World and a Drastic Decline in Food Production
43. 1969 ('https://books.google.com/books?id=azwQStEZq-8C&pg=PA606&dq=%22even+money+that+England+will+not+exist+in+the+year+2000%22&hl=en&ei=DCQYTa_XBI-q8AaF1ZWLDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result#v=onepage&q=%22even%20money%20that%20England%20will%20not%20exist%20in%20the%20year%202000%22&f=false'): Worldwide Plague, Overwhelming Pollution, Ecological Catastrophe, Virtual Collapse of UK by End of 20th Century
44. 1972 ('http://www.donellameadows.org/wp-content/userfiles/Limits-to-Growth-digital-scan-version.pdf'): Pending Depletion and Shortages of Gold, Tin, Oil, Natural Gas, Copper, Aluminum
45. 1970 ('https://www.newspapers.com/image/934139/?terms=paul%2Behrlich%2Bblue%2Bsmoke'): Oceans Dead in a Decade, US Water Rationing by 1974, Food Rationing by 1980
46. 1988 ('https://wayback.archive.org/web/20110202162233/https://www.salon.com/books/int/2001/10/23/weather/'): World’s Leading Climate Expert Predicts Lower Manhattan Underwater by 2018
47. 2005 ('https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2005/oct/12/naturaldisasters.climatechange1'): Fifty Million Climate Refugees by the Year 2020
48. 2000 ('https://web.archive.org/web/20150912124604/http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/snowfalls-are-now-just-a-thing-of-the-past-724017.html'): Snowfalls Are Now a Thing of the Past
49.1989 ('http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_product=SJ&s_site=mercurynews&p_multi=SJ&p_theme=realcities&p_action=search&p_maxdocs=200&p_topdoc=1&p_text_direct-0=0EB7304FF9A84273&p_field_direct-0=document_id&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date:D&s_trackval=GooglePM'): UN Warns That Entire Nations Wiped Off the Face of the Earth by 2000 From Global Warming
50. 2011: ('https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/could-cherry-blossoms-one-day-be-blooming-in-winter/2012/03/14/gIQAnas1CS_story.html') Washington Post Predicted Cherry Blossoms Blooming in Winter
What's old is new again. Now we have to wait until 2030 until irreparable damage has been done.....but we'll all forget about that prediction by the time we get there....