T-Mobile Launches Test Drive Program for Home Internet

T-Mobile today announced the launch of a new internet "Test Drive" program that's designed to allow users to try out 5G T-Mobile internet in their homes. T-Mobile will send users a gateway to try out for a 15 day period at no cost, with users able to keep their existing internet during the testing program.

tmobilelogo
To encourage customers to switch to T-Mobile Home Internet, T-Mobile is paying up to $500 in termination fees for customers who cancel their existing plans.

According to T-Mobile, subscribers see typical download speeds of 33 to 182Mb/s, which it says is adequate for streaming video, surfing the web, and most types of online gaming. Upload speeds are between 6 and 23Mb/s.

As for costs, T-Mobile Home Internet is priced at $50 per month, and T-Mobile says it comes with a permanent "Price Lock" feature that will not see prices increase over the years with no additional fees.

Customers who have a family plan with T-Mobile can get discounted home internet access. Magenta Max family subscribers will pay $30 per month for broadband as part of their family plans.

All customers who subscribe to T-Mobile Home Internet will have access to T-Mobile Tuesday deals. Next week, that will include a free TV streaming device valued at up to $50 (Chromecast, Fire TV, or Roku) and 50 percent off a YouTube TV plan.

BootsWalking Avatar
An angel gets its wings every time Comcast and AT&T lose a home-internet customer.
Sean. Avatar
I’ve had the service for about a month now and it’s been rock solid at my house. I’m getting better speeds than with my old ISP and it’s almost $20 cheaper a month with no data cap. I stream 4k shows no problem, home kit network stuff works perfect and when I game I usually am around 30-60 ping on average.
smaffei Avatar
It works great until you try and use it for gaming. The Ping is usually too high and forget it if you have a Nintendo Switch (Nintendo's networking code is pretty much IPV6 incompatible).

If you want to use 5G home internet for general internet usage / video streaming, it's a great deal.
stephenschimpf Avatar
My girlfriend tried it last year when she had bandwidth trouble with her HOA-provided internet service. It seemed like it would be a great solution for her. We set it up and connected all her devices, but when we got to her television, Hulu refused to use her new internet because it requires a residential connection at her home, and Hulu doesn't recognize the T-Mobile internet service as such. So, the device quickly went back into the box and was shipped back.
CalMin Avatar
It's not there yet, but I look forward to the day when wireless can break the cable company monopoly in my area. I literally have no options when it comes to high-speed internet and my cable company knows it.
geo411mar Avatar

I'm experiencing the same. It's worked great and has saved me about $30 a month.