iPhone 15 Pro Expected Later This Year With These 6 Exclusive Features
Apple's next-generation iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max are expected to be announced in September as usual. Already, rumors suggest the devices will have at least six exclusive features not available on the standard iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus.
An overview of the six features rumored to be exclusive to iPhone 15 Pro models:
- A17 chip: iPhone 15 Pro models will be equipped with an A17 Bionic chip manufactured based on TSMC's second-generation 3nm process, providing performance and efficiency improvements, according to Japanese publication Nikkei Asia. The report claimed that 2023 could mark the second year in a row in which only the Pro models of the new iPhone lineup feature Apple's latest chip.
- Titanium frame: Like the Apple Watch Ultra, the frame on iPhone 15 Pro models will be made of titanium instead of stainless steel, according to analyst Jeff Pu and a leaker known as "ShrimpApplePro."
- Faster USB-C port: iPhone 15 Pro models will feature a USB-C port with support for at least USB 3.2 or Thunderbolt 3, according to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, which would result in the devices having significantly faster data transfer speeds with a cable compared to existing iPhones with Lightning. Kuo said the USB-C port on standard iPhone 15 models will remain limited to USB 2.0 speeds like Lightning.
- Increased RAM: iPhone 15 Pro models will be equipped with an increased 8GB of RAM, according to Taiwanese research firm TrendForce, while the standard models will likely continue to have 6GB of RAM as they do currently. Additional RAM can allow apps like Safari to keep more content active in the background, preventing the app from reloading content when reopened.
- Solid-state buttons: iPhone 15 Pro models will feature solid-state volume and power buttons, according to Kuo. The analyst said the devices will be equipped with two additional Taptic Engines that provide haptic feedback to simulate the feeling of pressing the buttons, without them physically moving, similar to the Home button on the latest iPhone SE or the trackpad on newer MacBooks.
- Increased optical zoom for iPhone 15 Pro Max: The iPhone 15 Pro Max will feature a periscope telephoto lens, according to Kuo. This could result in the device having at least 6x optical zoom, compared to 3x on iPhone 14 Pro models.
Bloomberg's Mark Gurman has suggested that the iPhone 15 Pro Max could be renamed as the iPhone 15 Ultra, like the Apple Watch Ultra.
With many months remaining until Apple announces the iPhone 15 series, it's likely that additional features will be rumored for the devices, so the info we have right now is only an early glimpse at what to expect later this year.