Google Pulls Fortnite From Play Store, But Game Remains Available Through Other Android Sources [Update: Epic Games Sues Google]

Just hours after Apple removed Fortnite from the App Store, Google has also pulled the Fortnite app from its Google Play Store.

fortnite mobile 100 million hero
Epic made the same in-app changes in the Google version of the app that it made in the App Store version, allowing players to bypass Google’s in-app purchase system. Subverting the Play Store in-app purchase system is against Google’s rules. From Google’s guidelines:

Developers offering products within a game downloaded on Google Play or providing access to game content must use Google Play In-app Billing as the method of payment.

Google in a statement to The Verge said that it has policies about in-app purchases that are designed to keep the Play Store safe for users. The statement is very similar to Apple’s, in fact.

The open Android ecosystem lets developers distribute apps through multiple app stores. For game developers who choose to use the Play Store, we have consistent policies that are fair to developers and keep the store safe for users. While Fortnite remains available on Android, we can no longer make it available on Play because it violates our policies. However, we welcome the opportunity to continue our discussions with Epic and bring Fortnite back to Google Play.

According to The Verge, Google clarified that it has no issue with Epic distributing the game on Android devices through other channels, but the rules for the Play Store must be followed for the app to be available through it.

Even though the app has been removed from the Play Store, it can still be used on Android. Fortnite can be downloaded through the Epic Games app or through the Samsung Galaxy Store.

Update: ‌Epic Games‌ has also levied a lawsuit against Google for removing Fortnite from the Google Play Store.

DarthJarJar Avatar

I wish the subject was more like, "Because Epic also violates the rules at Google Play, Fortnite gets pulled from the Play Store".

This was NOT Google being malicious, this is Epic screwing around.

To be clear, I'm an Epic user and have their store/launcher installed on my Macintosh. I have nothing against Epic, they're trying to be the cheapest store out there and it benefits me.
Epic is not looking out for consumers, they simply want a higher profit margin. Don't mistake greed for benevolence.
SW3029 Avatar
Good for Google (and Apple). Epic isn't exactly an underdog. They are pulling this PR sideshow for their own benefit, not the benefit of users.
garylapointe Avatar
I wish the subject was more correct, "Because Epic is also violating the rules at Google Play, Fortnite gets pulled from the Play Store for violating their agreement with Google".

This was NOT Google being malicious, this is Epic screwing around.

ipedro Avatar
LMAO

All the Android anti-Apple Epic apologists: you were saaaaaying?
haruhiko Avatar
Good job Google ?
Darmok N Jalad Avatar
I’m curious, don’t in-game purchases work the same way on PS4 and XboxOne? Like you have to buy through Sony’s and MS’s store and are subject to their stores’ terms and conditions? If so, I wonder if they will be next?