A shut down and a restart are the same gesture now, while a force restart, used if a regular restart won't work, is a bit different.
To Shut Down/Restart Your iPad
- Press and hold down on the top button and either the volume up or volume down button until a slider appears.
- Slide a finger along the slider to turn off the iPad.
- Once it's turned off, press and hold on the top button again until the Apple logo appears.
You can also turn off your iPad by opening up the Settings app, choosing General, and selecting "Shut Down."
To Force Restart Your iPad
- Press and quickly release the volume up button.
- Press and quickly release the volume down button.
- Press and hold the Power button until a restart is initiated.
Restarting Other Devices
Don't have an iPad Pro? Make sure to check out our guides on how to force restart other Apple products, listed below: