Gurman: New 13-Inch and 15-Inch MacBook Airs Likely to Launch by Summer

Apple will likely launch both an updated 13-inch MacBook Air and a larger 15-inch MacBook Air "between late spring and summer," according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman. However, he said the chips these models will use is a "big remaining question."

MacBook Air Multiple Sizes Feature
Gurman said it is "plausible" that at least the next 13-inch MacBook Air will be equipped with the as-yet-unannounced M3 chip, which will reportedly be manufactured based on TSMC's latest 3nm process for improved performance. The current 13-inch model was released in July 2022 and is powered by the M2 chip, which is based on a 5nm process.

Gurman did not reveal if the 15-inch MacBook Air will also be equipped with the M3 chip. He said a 15-inch model with an M2 chip "may still excite consumers," but would "quickly become outdated" given the M3 chip is on the horizon. Last month, Taiwanese supply chain publication DigiTimes claimed the 15-inch MacBook Air will be equipped with the M2 chip, but the website has a mediocre track record with Apple rumors.

Apple's supply chain started production of display panels for a new 15.5-inch MacBook Air in February, according to display industry analyst Ross Young, who has a solid track record with display-related rumors. This model would be the largest-ever MacBook Air, as the notebook has only ever been offered in 13-inch and 11-inch sizes.

All in all, there is still chip uncertainty surrounding the new MacBook Air models, but it is noteworthy that Gurman expects both 13-inch and 15-inch models to be released by the summer. He also continues to expect a new Mac Pro desktop tower with an M2 Ultra chip and the same design as the 2019 model to launch by the summer, and an updated 24-inch iMac to be released in the second half of this year at the earliest.

Related Roundup: MacBook Air
Related Forum: MacBook Air

iOS 18 CarPlay Feature

iOS 18 Adds These 5 New Features to CarPlay

Thursday June 13, 2024 7:44 am PDT by
iOS 18 Wallet Feature

Here's What's New in Apple Wallet on iOS 18 for Event Tickets and More

Friday June 14, 2024 7:32 am PDT by
maxresdefault

First Look at Messages via Satellite in iOS 18

Thursday June 13, 2024 11:29 am PDT by
iOS 18 Siri Integrated Feature

You Can Give Siri a New Name With iOS 18's Vocal Shortcuts

Friday June 14, 2024 4:33 pm PDT by
Apple in iOS 18 added a Vocal Shortcuts accessibility feature, and now that iOS 18 is available in a beta capacity, users have figured out that this option can be used to give Siri a new wake word. With Vocal Shortcuts, you can assign a custom phrase that Siri can understand to launch shortcuts and complete "complex tasks," and one of the shortcuts you can set up is an alternative for "Hey...

TSE Avatar
I've made approximately $120k on my M2 MacBook Air.

That's money that I would have lost out on if I waited for an M3.

Don't wait. If you need a device, just buy.
TheYayAreaLiving ?️ Avatar
We went from MacBook Air being launched in April to May and now to sometime in the Summer? ?

All I care about is the 15” MacBook Air being released as soon as possible.
vegetassj4 Avatar
Pfffft…15? Go big or not at all

Attachment Image
TheYayAreaLiving ?️ Avatar
Anyone missing the 12” MacBook?

[MEDIA=twitter]1632096108200509441[/MEDIA]
dantracht Avatar
I’ll say it again. The 15” air is a day one buy, when it has the M3.
ThisBougieLife Avatar

I’ll say it again. The 15” air is a day one buy, when it has the M3.
The 15" Air would be a Day One buy for me, regardless of the chip...if it had mini LED.

The MacBook Pro I have is definitely overkill for me. I don't need all this processing power or RAM. And I'd love to have a lighter-weight laptop that does everything I'd need it to do. Unfortunately, I've been using this incredibly beautiful mini LED display for over a year now and there's no way I could go back to a standard LCD. :( I feel the same about the 14 Plus. I don't need the enormous camera bump and I'd love to get a thinner, lighter phone. But I can't go back to 60 Hz. If they ever bring more advanced displays to their "entry-level" products I'll consider switching. For now, it has to be "Pro" for me.