Apple today seeded the fourth beta of an upcoming watchOS 6.1 beta to developers, just under a week after seeding the third watchOS 6.1 beta and a month after releasing the watchOS 6 update with full App Store, new Apple Watch faces, and more.

Once the proper configuration profile has been installed from the Apple Developer Center, the new watchOS beta can be downloaded through the dedicated Apple Watch app on the iPhone by going to General > Software Update.

applewatchseries5
To install the update, the Apple Watch needs to have over 50 percent battery, it must be placed on the charger, and it has to be in range of the ‌iPhone‌.

There were no major changes found in the first three watchOS 6.1 betas, so it's not entirely clear what's included in the update, but we'll update this article should new features be found in the third beta. The update may be focused on bug fixes and under-the-hood performance improvements.

watchOS 6.1 does work with the Series 1 and Series 2 Apple Watch models, which were excluded from the watchOS 6 release.

Apple said that watchOS 6 would come to the older Apple Watch models at a later date, so it's possible watchOS 6.1 will be the first version of watchOS 6 to work with the Series 1 and Series 2 Apple Watches.

Related Roundup: Apple Watch Series 9
Buyer's Guide: Apple Watch (Caution)

Tony_YYZ Avatar
And still no Siri Shortcuts fix I bet
Dizbuster Avatar
I would just like it if I could delete sms messages on my phone and they would automatically delete on my watch Like iMessages does. I assume Apple could do that.
Tony_YYZ Avatar

This is the only thing I’m interested in. I can’t believe Macrumors etc haven’t had a news article on how there’s currently no Siri Shortcuts on either Apple Watch or HomePod. Insane.
Yeah it's incredibly surprising how no outlets made any noise about this. Especially since Apple themselves have released no information about it. They are just hoping people will accept and move on?
WilliamG Avatar

And still no Siri Shortcuts fix I bet
Braderunner Avatar

I don’t know what Thermo Watch is. But are you confirming that Siri Shortcuts created in the Shortcuts app are now working on Apple Watch with this update?
Yes. They are for me. I also just tested it with a shortcut for Dark Sky.
The Thermo Watch shortcuts were created in that app. But, they have not been working. Been getting message, "Sorry, shortcuts aren't available on Apple Watch...".
The Dark Sky shortcut was created in the Shortcuts app.
Yeaaahhh! Now, I have to get used to using them on the Watch, again. Been so long...I was starting to get used to their absence from the Watch.
Sasparilla Avatar
Nice to see them moving forward with the next release.

Frankly, I want to keep 6 off of my Series 3 for as long as possible (seems like mostly performance downsides). I woke up to the notice (last weekend) that there wasn't enough space to install 6.xx the on the prior night and I was so thankful for that situation.