Apple has ceased sales of some of its older iPhone models in India in a bid to improve its flagging profitability and average selling price in the country.

The company today withdrew the iPhone 4s, which was selling for as low as Rs 12,000 ($175), in a move aimed at increasing share and acquiring new customers. Apple also stopped selling its iPhone 5c model, priced at Rs 20,000 ($292), marking the company's exit from India's fast-growing sub-Rs 20,000 mobile market, reports The Economic Times.

According to Counterpoint Research, Apple's average selling price in India increased sequentially during the last quarter of 2015 due to the introduction of the iPhone 6s, but it declined 20 percent compared to that a year ago. Analysts believe the latest move is likely to lead to an increase in share for its main rival Samsung as well as Chinese brands.

iphone5c_iphone4s
However, senior analyst at Counterpoint Research, Tarun Pathak, believes the iPhone 5s will fill the gap created by the removal of the iPhone 4s.

"The recent price cut of iPhone 5s is in line with Apple's strategy of positioning this model as affordable in emerging countries and will continue to pull an aspirational young audience looking to upgrade their smartphones in the midsegment," said Pathak.

In December, Apple cut the prices of its iPhone 6s and 6s Plus handsets in India by up to 16 percent, following a reported dive in sales. The move quickly followed Apple's decision to halve the price of iPhone 5s, from 45,500 Rupees to 24,999 Rupees.

Apple CEO Tim Cook recently earmarked India's booming mobile market as a significant focus of energy for the company. Over 200 million people own smartphones there, which is still less than a third of the country's population.

Today also saw the launch of India's cheapest smartphone, a $7 handset being manufactured by domestic handset maker Ringing Bells as part of the government's Made in India campaign.

Tag: India

M5RahuL Avatar
After speaking with some people from India, My understanding is they won't buy Apple or anything US because it's a US company. I asked you live in the US but won't buy US. Answer "yes". Apparently they come here for the money and nothing else. One guy admitting he hates it here with a passion but loves screwing us over.
For the record I get around a lot due to my job. Get the chance to talk to many different people from all over the world. Best non-US citizens to talk with Russians and Africans.
Wow.. so after, which I strongly believe is your own deformed mental creation, 'speaking with some people from India' quantifies to the entire population ? amazing :confused: conclusion!!

Also, people coming to the US to make money ? Isn't that a surprise now! :rolleyes: I'm sure every other first gen. immigrant, including..well pretty much every continent.. comes here for a different reason ? I suggest you go back and read the US history before displaying your extreme lack of IQ!

Again, ONE guy loves screwing the US over LOL..

You sure get around a lot... seems like with a pink slip!

Best non-US citizens to talk with are Russians and Africans! lol.. which one are YOU ?
[doublepost=1455730631][/doublepost]
I agree. Americans - especially Californians - wear rose-colored glasses when they look at Indians. They think they are all holy. A visit to India should prove otherwise, but many gullible American cultists refuse to ever even consider that India is the most debased, idolatrous, corrupt country on the planet. Many Indians are aware of the problems their country faces, but most defend it and slate the US and China while claiming that India is the best, richest, most powerful country on earth.

Europeans - and especially the British - have, for the most part, an entirely different view of India and Pakistan.
Hmm... who claims India is the most richest or powerful country ? What are your sources ? Anything to back up your POS statement ?

Putting India and Pak in the same statement is direct reflection of your ignorance and lack of awareness.. I should stop right there .. I guess I will..it's really hard to debate with uneducated bottom feeders!
NtDs90 Avatar
Daku93 Avatar
I think they finally want to get rid of all the non 64bit iOS Devices so iOS 10 can be 64bit only. (Yes I know that means the 5 gets 1 year of support less than the 4s)
Mums Avatar

vertsix Avatar
Foreshadowing to the iPhone 5se.

It will probably be priced as an iPhone 5c in India.
NtDs90 Avatar

Again, ONE guy loves screwing the US over LOL..

You sure get around a lot... seems like with a pink slip!

1-I never said it represents the entire population. I'm sure there are good people from India, I just haven't met one yet. I look forward to meeting a good one and having a good conversation with them.

2-Making money is everyones' goal in life. My included. Everyone is a capitalist. There is no such thing as a socialist, communist, or anything else. Money rules all. Some people use titles as socialist or communist or religion just as a means to steal other peoples money. Some people just earn it. Get with reality. And I was using one as an example.

3-I am a born and raised American. Minnesota to be exact. I've just had the opportunity to meet people from other countries.

4-I've never been fired from a job. How about you? Oh and my job is by far more important to the everyday lives of others than almost all other jobs. People that do my job are probably more important to our continued society than even the US president. Think about what you need to survive before you answer.

FYI my IQ is 125-129. It been tested by certified doctors. Twice. But that's a hole other deal.