New Apple TV Gains Charts for Top Paid, Free and Grossing Apps
The new Apple TV launched on Friday with an all-new App Store, but early adopters were quick to realize that app discovery was limited to a single featured section and a manual search option -- unlike the App Stores on iPhone, iPad and Mac, which have several genre-based categories and top charts for apps.
Apple has partially addressed this issue today by adding top charts to the tvOS App Store, listing the top paid apps, top free apps and top grossing apps. Confirming our previous report, games make up the majority of the top spots so far, while apps from content providers such as HBO, FOX and CBS are also popular.
Top Free Apps
1. Rayman Adventures
2. Crossy Road - Endless Arcade Hopper
3. HBO NOW
4. The Nat Geo TV
5. FOX NOW
10. Asphalt 8: Airborne
Top Paid Apps
1. Beat Sports
2. Simple X - for Plex
3. Galaxy on Fire - Manticore RISING
4. Does not Commute TV
5. Lumino City
6. Alto's Adventure
7. Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions Evolved
8. Battle Supremacy: Evolution
9. CARROT Weather: Talking Forecast Robot
Top Grossing Apps
1. Beat Sports
2. Galaxy on Fire - Manticore RISING
3. Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions Evolved
5. Simple X - for Plex
6. Lumino City
7. Battle Supremacy: Evolution
8. Does not Commute TV
10. CARROT Weather: Talking Forecast Robot
Restarting your Apple TV or force closing the App Store may be required to view the new Top Charts section. The category may still be rolling out to all users at this time.
Eric Slivka contributed to this report.