Apple Releases New Beta Firmware for AirPods Pro 2

Apple today introduced a new beta firmware update for the AirPods Pro 2, both the USB-C and Lightning versions. The new firmware is version 6E188, up from the prior 6B34 firmware released in December.

airpods pro 2 pink
Apple does not often provide details or notes on what features might be included in the refreshed firmware, so it is unclear what's new. Note that this software is limited to developers at the current time.

There are no clear cut instructions on how to upgrade AirPods software, but firmware is generally installed over-the-air while the ‌‌AirPods‌‌ are connected to an iOS device. Putting the ‌‌‌‌‌AirPods‌‌‌‌‌ in the case, connecting the ‌‌‌‌‌AirPods‌‌‌‌‌ to a power source, and then pairing the ‌‌‌‌‌AirPods‌‌‌‌‌ to an iOS device or Mac should force the update.

You can check your ‌‌‌‌AirPods Pro‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌ firmware by following these steps:

• Connect your ‌‌‌‌‌‌‌AirPods Pro‌‌‌‌‌‌‌ to your iOS device.
  • Open the Settings app.
  • Tap General.
  • Tap About.
  • Tap ‌‌‌‌‌AirPods‌‌‌‌‌.
  • Look at the number next to "Firmware Version."

If we learn more about what's new in the firmware update, we'll update this article.

Related Roundup: AirPods Pro
Buyer's Guide: AirPods Pro (Buy Now)
Related Forum: AirPods

zorinlynx Avatar
8 weeks ago
What is even the point of making a beta available if they tell us NOTHING about what is changed or fixed in this release? As someone who frequently runs beta software, I'm not going to touch this one because there's *no point*. I don't know what to test or what to look for!
FasterQuieter Avatar
7 weeks ago
Mine lost 90% of their ANC abilities since I bought them. There is only a very slight difference between ANC and transparency now. It would be nice if a software update would fix that.
TracesOfArsenic Avatar
7 weeks ago
Likely an ANC nerf to entice people to buy an upcoming new model.
japanime Avatar
7 weeks ago

However, thousands of Amazon reviews do NOT make much reference to any such problem (and there are plenty of Apple people offering reviews too).
It's great that you are having a good experience with those earbuds, and at that price it's certainly worth taking a chance on them. However, according to the analysis of the Amazon product page by Fakespot, most of those thousands of reviews are bogus. So I'd take what is (or is not) written there with a grain of salt.

Here's the link the full analysis:

Attachment Image
boswald Avatar
7 weeks ago
I’m probably in the minority because I actually get excited for APP updates. I’m always shocked when Apple manages to make my favorite earbuds sound even better.
tobybrut Avatar
7 weeks ago

I see no changes to ANC. As poor as it was before.
For those of you having trouble with ANC, are you all sure you’re not in Adaptive mode where ANC is less than half of what it is in pure ANC mode? I have two sets, a Lightning and USB-C version, and both of them have ANC so good they can practically eliminate the sound of leaf blowers right outside my window where the people using them are no more than 15 feet away from me. I’ve never heard ANC so good on any device. I can actually sleep through that awful noise with the APP 2’s in my ears.

I don’t see any point for Adaptive mode, which to me is very close to Transparency mode, which makes me think you’re all using Adaptive mode instead of Noise Cancellation mode. What I’m getting out of ANC seems radically different from what at least three of you are hearing.