Apple Releases HomePod 15.6 Software With Siri Voice Recognition in Additional Languages

Alongside iOS 15.6, iPadOS 15.6, macOS Monterey 12.5, and tvOS 15.6, Apple today released a new 15.6 update for the HomePod and the HomePod mini. The ‌HomePod‌ 15.6 update is the sixth major ‌HomePod‌ software update since version 15 was released, and it comes around two months after the launch of HomePod software 15.5.

HomePodandMini feature blue
Apple's release notes say ‌HomePod‌ software version 15.6 adds Siri voice recognition support in Mandarin, Cantonese, and Japanese. The update also includes performance and stability improvements.

Software version 15.6 adds Siri voice recognition support in Mandarin Chinese (China mainland, Taiwan), Cantonese (China mainland, Hong Kong), and Japanese (Japan). This update also includes performance and stability improvements.

‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌HomePod‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌ software is installed automatically on the ‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌HomePod‌‌‌‌‌‌ unless the feature is disabled‌‌‌‌, but the ‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌HomePod‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌ can also be manually updated in the Home app by following the instructions in our HomePod‌‌ update how to.

Related Roundups: HomePod, HomePod mini

PBG4 Dude Avatar

Siri has really been keeping up with her daily DuoLingo classes!
Yeah, now Siri can misunderstand your request in 3 new languages! :-)
Stike Avatar
Geez, I am looking forward to every update only to be let down again.

I am *this close* to throw those HomePods out. Siri constantly misunderstands things or fails to register commands, sometimes it's playing back in "all rooms" but the volume buttons don't light up and then the system is always confused which song is playing where.

Also, the iPhone sometimes shows the controls for the song that I started via voice command, and sometimes it doesn't. Maddening.

I'd rather sometimes rather have DUMB wireless speakers!
dustin_ Avatar
I’m in a dual language household & really wish my HomePods (Siri) could communicate in two languages simultaneously like my Amazon Echo can.
macmac30 Avatar
Siri asks my wife "Who's speaking?" just about every day when she tries to play music, turn on/off lights, add something to the shopping list. This is one of my few high tech purchases over the last 28 years of marriage where she wants to throw it out the window! Who's speaking, Mmmm hmmm, no response to repeated questions, etc., etc., etc. These HomePods are spiraling out of control. What happened to my OG HomePods? Apple seems to have dumbed them down over the last 4 years. They used to respond to a whisper. Now, I have to yell at them most of the time. Did Apple turn down some setting on the network side to reduce backend processing, etc.? Something has changed. Does Apple expect users will trust their Apple Car if they can’t keep a HomePod running smoothly? Hey Siri, take me to work. ”Who’s speaking?” “One sec…” “this is taking a bit too long” “Mmm hmm?” And while I‘m on my rant, would it be too much to ask the HomePod team to inject a little “love“ into Siri when I tell her goodnight to turn on my ceiling fan, white noise, and turn off the lights? She replies “Goodnight” but it sounds more like a question.
flofixer Avatar
I currently have several home pods and homepod mini's. While I really like the sound of the devices, the software for them has been my most disappointing experience with Apple products to date.
DinkThifferent Avatar
Siri has really been keeping up with her daily DuoLingo classes!