Twitter Deploying Top-Spec MacBook Pros Across App Development Teams

Twitter is deploying top-spec MacBook Pros with the M1 Max Apple silicon chip to all of its iOS and Android engineers for app development, representing yet another push for the adoption of Apple silicon Macs in the enterprise.

macbook pro 2021 side by side
The news was shared by John Szumski, a senior staffer at Twitter for the company's mobile platforms. In a tweet, Szumski said that Twitter will be rolling out fully-maxed-out MacBook Pros to all of its iOS and Android engineers. Szumski added that the new Apple silicon Macs are showing significant improvements in top-line performance for Twitter's app development compared to currently used Intel Macs.

An engineer at Reddit also shared a similar sentiment. Jameson, a staff engineer at Reddit, said that the new MacBook Pros have cut Reddit's app build time by 50%, yielding improved productivity for engineers. Breaking down the cost of deploying new MacBook Pros to Reddit's engineers, Jameson said, "for a team of 9, $32k of laptops will actually save $100k in productivity over 2022."

Apple promises considerable improvements for developers with the new M1 Pro and ‌M1 Max‌ Apple silicon chips. According to tests done by Apple, the 10-core CPU ‌M1 Pro‌ and ‌M1 Max‌ chips in the large 16-inch MacBook Pro offer 3.7x faster Xcode build times than the 8-core Intel i9 16-inch MacBook Pro. In terms of power efficiency and battery life, Apple says the new chips allow developers to "compile up to four times as much code in Xcode" on a single battery charge.

Related Roundup: MacBook Pro 14 & 16"
Related Forum: MacBook Pro

iOS 18 CarPlay Feature

iOS 18 Adds These 5 New Features to CarPlay

Thursday June 13, 2024 7:44 am PDT by
ios 18 button bulge

iOS 18 Adds Pop-Out Bezel Animation When Pressing iPhone Buttons

Tuesday June 11, 2024 10:40 am PDT by
iOS 18 includes a small but interesting change for the buttons on the iPhone, adding more of a visual element when changing volume, activating the Action button, or locking the screen. When you press an iPhone button in iOS 18, the display bezel bulges outward slightly. This feature is available for the volume buttons, Action button and the power button, and it will also likely be used for...
maxresdefault

First Look at Messages via Satellite in iOS 18

Thursday June 13, 2024 11:29 am PDT by
iOS 18 Wallet Feature

Here's What's New in Apple Wallet on iOS 18 for Event Tickets and More

Friday June 14, 2024 7:32 am PDT by

ChristianSelig Avatar
Story update: Twitter says previously used Intel machines won't go to waste, will be repurposed as space heaters during winter months of Twitter offices.
th1nk Avatar
I bet some of the developers are sad that their coffee breaks during compilation are so much shorter now. ?
TrueBlou Avatar

Funny, one of the first comments I made on here in regards to Xcode on my M1 Pro, was that I hit compile and did my usual, I’m going to make coffee move. I didn’t even get out of the room before it finished. I may need to move my coffee machine closer, the alternative is unthinkable :D
Apple Knowledge Navigator Avatar
But but Apple’s doomed now Alder Lake is here?
contacos Avatar
Lucky! I got a new crappy Dell form work, which is about to launch for Mars every time I open Teams for 5 Minutes and therefore I do all my work from my personal 14inch MBP :D
leman Avatar
Yep, and that's what this all is about. M1 Pro/Max builds software as quickly as a fully loaded enthusiast-class x86 desktop CPU drawing over 200W, so it's an incredible tool for software developers.

Although I am surprised Twitter would choose the M1 Max, what do they need the GPU for?