What to Expect From the Apple Watch Series 7

Apple in just a few weeks is expected to release the Apple Watch Series 7 alongside new iPhone 13 models, and it's looking like this could be one of the most exciting design updates we've had to the Apple Watch in a few years.

We're not expecting new health features this year, and if there are new health sensors, Apple has kept them under wraps, but multiple rumors have indicated that the Apple Watch Series 7 is getting a new design.

The upcoming Apple Watch could feature a flat-edged design that's similar to the design of the iPhone 12 and the iPad Pro. Leaked renders said to be based on CAD drawings have depicted iPhone-12 style flat curves, a thinner Digital Crown, and new speaker design on the left side of the watch.

91mmobile apple watch series 1

Apple Watch Series 7 render from 91Mobiles

Bloomberg says the Apple Watch will have thinner display bezels with the display using a new lamination technique that brings it closer to the front cover, and with this new casing and display technology, the upcoming models are expected to come in 41mm and 45mm sizes, just a bit larger than the current 40mm and 44mm size options.

The display of the 45mm model measures in at 1.8 inches according to rumors, up from the 1.73-inch display in the prior model. We don't yet know the size of the 41mm model, but it's likely to see a similar small size increase.

Rumors have been mixed on thickness. Bloomberg's Mark Gurman said that the Apple Watch could be a bit thicker overall, but not in a way that's noticeable to users, but leaked renders suggested it would be 1.7mm thinner, which is a decent thickness decrease. We'll have to wait to see on the exact casing dimensions.

Apple is rumored to be considering new color options for the Series 7 and it could come in a green aluminum shade. Last year, Apple introduced the Apple Watch Series 6 in blue aluminum.

Inside, the Apple Watch Series 7 will feature an upgraded S7 chip that could use double-sided technology to cut down on its size. The smaller S7 chip could leave more room for additional battery life and other components, and the new Apple Watch is expected to gain improved wireless connectivity and a better U1 Ultra Wideband chip.

There's a possibility that we could get a new, more durable version of the Apple Watch this year. Bloomberg says that Apple is considering a rugged version of the Apple Watch that's aimed at athletes, hikers, and others who are more likely to damage their Apple Watches. It's not clear if this model is coming in 2021 or 2022, though.

As for new software, the Apple Watch Series 7 will run watchOS 8, which adds Focus mode, new Mindfulness features, Home and Wallet improvements, and more. Apple will also add new "Time to Run" and "Audio Meditation" features that will join the "Time to Walk" feature released earlier this year.

Based on past launch dates, the most likely date for the event that will see the unveiling of the Apple Watch Series 7 and the ‌iPhone 13‌ models is Tuesday, September 14, but the week after that is also a possibility. Either way, we don't have much longer to wait before Apple reveals the first of its fall device launch lineup.

iPhone 15 Pro Cameras

iPhone 17 Pro Max Will Be First Model to Feature Three 48MP Cameras

Thursday July 11, 2024 12:20 am PDT by
Beyond iPhone 13 Better Blue Face ID Single Camera Hole

10 Reasons to Wait for Next Year's iPhone 17

Monday July 8, 2024 5:00 am PDT by
maxresdefault

Apple's AirPods Pro 2 vs. Samsung's Galaxy Buds3 Pro

Saturday July 13, 2024 8:00 am PDT by
Samsung this week introduced its latest earbuds, the Galaxy Buds3 Pro, which look quite a bit like Apple's AirPods Pro 2. Given the similarities, we thought we'd compare Samsung's new earbuds to the AirPods Pro. Subscribe to the MacRumors YouTube channel for more videos. Design wise, you could potentially mistake Samsung's Galaxy Buds3 Pro for the AirPods Pro. The Buds3 Pro have the same...
iPhone 16 Pro Front Update Blue

iPhone 16 Pro Rumored to Support 40W Fast Charging and 20W MagSafe

Wednesday July 10, 2024 3:57 am PDT by
Apple's forthcoming iPhone 16 Pro and iPhone 16 Pro Max will support 40W wired fast charging and 20W MagSafe charging, claims a rumor currently swirling around China. Right now, iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Pro models are capable of up to 27W peak charging speeds with an appropriate USB-C power adapter, while official MagSafe chargers from Apple and authorized third parties can wirelessly charge...

iDento Avatar
Battery life, period.
WeatherWeasel Avatar
I am 74 and retired. AND I am capable of doing a lot with the electronics, unlike the humorous old fart geezer who knows nothing.
that being said, I use the watch 6 for health things mainly, the O2, the heart rate, stuff right now that is important to me. So the health apps are important to me. I won't upgrade until Apple says the new sensors are in place then it will be fine. I do wonder if even with the larger size of the case of the watch, will they do anything to improve the offering of those with thick wrists, like me, be able to purchase a cool band or will I have to exist with black plastic still. I tell yo Apple is missing a lot of sales not having that extra large band.

So Apple cosmetic and battery is fine. Not important to me as I am home and can charge the watch as needed and even if I was working, I can charge it when I would get home. Come out with nifty sensors and perhaps like non invasive blood glucose, you will have me buying one. This time, I will just let the software update where it will.
anek007 Avatar
Wish Apple used Qi charging for the watch.
now i see it Avatar
I'm still waiting for a G-Shock version
pdaholic Avatar
6 wasn’t much of an update to the 5, and nothing here makes me want to upgrade to the 7. Watch is starting to feel a bit stagnant ?
deeddawg Avatar
Is "exciting design update" a code word for ugly?

I know, real thing might look better than third party renders, but I'm just not a fan of what I'm seeing. Each to their own I guess.