Apple Podcasts Subscriptions Launching on June 15

Apple will make Podcasts subscription options available starting on Tuesday, June 15, Apple said today in an email that was sent out to podcasters (via The Verge).

Podcasts Feature
Support for Podcasts Subscriptions was introduced with the iOS 14.6 update, but in late May after releasing the update Apple said that the rollout of the feature would be delayed until June to make sure that the "best experience" is being provided to creators and listeners.

Podcast Subscriptions were first announced at Apple's April event and will see podcast creators able to offer paid subscription options with access to exclusive content, ad-free listening, and other perks.

Apple likely delayed the subscription feature because Podcast app users have been unhappy with the changes that were implemented in an iOS 14.5 update. There were multiple complaints about the usability of the app, which Apple began to address in iOS 14.6. When delaying the Podcast Subscriptions launch, Apple said that further improvements to the Podcasts app are in the works.

iPhone 16 Pro Max Generic Feature 2

5 Biggest Changes Rumored for iPhone 16 Pro Max

Tuesday May 21, 2024 7:29 am PDT by

GeoStructural Avatar
Users: We want iCloud + Music combo.

Apple: Here is Podcasts and News.
Khedron Avatar

No most podcasts will continue to be available for free with ad breaks like you’re used to. Subscriptions are more for independent media, where they’re relying on contributions from listeners and followers. I don’t have a problem with it, there’s a few shows I listen to where they put out a quality product, and I don‘t mind giving a few bucks a month for no ads and exclusive content.
Been doing this for years with Patreon. I guess Apple noticed some of my money wasn’t being filtered through their accounts.
pubb Avatar
So whats the deal? No podcasts unless I pay/subscribe? "Premium" podcasts come at a price while others are free? I already have Apple One premier. There are very, very few podcasts I would pay for. And many of them, I binge in a weekend.
dannyyankou Avatar

McG2k1 Avatar
apple’s podcasts app is pretty much the worst app they’ve ever continued to maintain. It quite literally gets worse with every update. If there was a clear alternative which crushed it, I would switch.
hagar Avatar
Apple added podcasts in 2005.
16 years later and the app is still a mess. Weird.