Airline Body IATA to Launch COVID-19 Travel Passport App in April

The International Air Transport Association, or IATA, announced today that it plans to launch a digital travel passport for COVID-19 test results and vaccination certificates on Apple's App Store around April 15.

iata airline body
As reported by Reuters, IATA has had the digital passport in development for the past few months and is currently undergoing beta testing. Initial plans called for the digital pass to launch at the end of March, but undisclosed reasons pushed the release into mid-Apri.

The app will show whether a person has tested positive for COVID-19 and may become the international standard for proving someone has been vaccinated.

Kamil Alawadhi, IATA's regional VP for Africa and the Middle East, says the new app will only become valid when counties, airports, and airlines adopt it and make it a requirement. Already, UK-based airline Virgin Atlantic said that it would begin a trial of the pass with a flight on April 16 from London to Barbados, which will require travelers to present upon arrival.

Note: Due to the political or social nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Political News forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

iOS 18 CarPlay Feature

iOS 18 Adds These 5 New Features to CarPlay

Thursday June 13, 2024 7:44 am PDT by
ios 18 button bulge

iOS 18 Adds Pop-Out Bezel Animation When Pressing iPhone Buttons

Tuesday June 11, 2024 10:40 am PDT by
iOS 18 includes a small but interesting change for the buttons on the iPhone, adding more of a visual element when changing volume, activating the Action button, or locking the screen. When you press an iPhone button in iOS 18, the display bezel bulges outward slightly. This feature is available for the volume buttons, Action button and the power button, and it will also likely be used for...
maxresdefault

First Look at Messages via Satellite in iOS 18

Thursday June 13, 2024 11:29 am PDT by
iOS 18 Wallet Feature

Here's What's New in Apple Wallet on iOS 18 for Event Tickets and More

Friday June 14, 2024 7:32 am PDT by

Nikhil72 Avatar

Stupid. Whether or not I’ve had the vaccine is nobody’s business but mine.
you have to prove vaccination to 1) travel to many international countries, 2) go to school (elementary, middle, high, college, or post graduate including boosters if needed), 3) for select occupations (ie healthcare fields), 4) joining the military. And when I say proof, actual records from a facility.

This individual liberty nonsense is theatrical drama at best and is eye rolling because it either demonstrates lack of basic knowledge of how things have worked with respect to public health or stem from sheer foolishness.

you don’t want to comply? That’s fine, you’re not entitled to air travel, movie theaters, dining establishments, live performance venues. They’re largely private businesses. No shirt no service? Just as legal as requiring proof of serologic protection.
Caliber26 Avatar
Soon, we’ll need a Covid passport just to walk into the grocery store or even our place of work. Is this how they start to condition us for what’s to come?
Mansu944 Avatar
3 months ago this was a “conspiracy theory”.
BvizioN Avatar
People who predicted this a year ago were called "conspiracy theorists". Welcome to the future where your freedom is a thing of the past. They like to call it "the new normal"
IIGS User Avatar
I see this as a positive development for a lot of reasons.

For one, establishing an international standard. Anyone who's traveled to undeveloped or underdeveloped regions has experienced carrying a cardstock vax card for production at entry ports.

Second, a large group of the population is wary of government sponsored vax passports, particularly in the US. But, to return to a life where we can do things like go to ball games and concerts, it's going to be a necessity. Too many people will forge or out and out like about their status, which is unacceptable. People might be more inclined to trust an industry group like the IATA than their government.

Finally, it will encourage more people to get their vaccine. I know a LOT of people have a hesitancy to do so. I understand the large list of reasons why. I certainly don't agree with them all.

I've had both doses of the Moderna vax. Our work got it for us early as we are front line essential, so I had my second shot back in February. My wife gets her second this Saturday. She was a bit hesitant, as was I at first. One of my doctors participated in the Moderna trial as a recipient. After speaking with him, I decided to go ahead with it.

Me and my wife both had minimal side effects. I had a sore arm and felt lousy the next day. She as well, but a bit tired. I had no side effects to the second shot. I was also previously infected with COVID and (obviously) survived.

I would encourage everyone who has not, and has access to get the vax. A large group of my co workers had it at the same time, and only 2 had reactions that were similar to a flu shot reaction.
GubbyMan Avatar

Stupid. Whether or not I’ve had the vaccine is nobody’s business but mine.
Really? I think the chance of anyone dying from covid19 is lowered if you had the vaccine which makes it everybody’s business.