20 Useful Tips for New Apple Watch Owners
If you recently got an Apple Watch or know someone who did, there are a lot of useful hidden little tips and tricks to take advantage of. We've rounded up 20 helpful tips that new Apple Watch owners should be aware of, and there may even be some tips and tricks seasoned Apple Watch owners don't know.
- Rearrange Apps - In the main app grid, if you press and hold on an app, you can move it around to create a new app grid design. You can also rearrange apps in the Watch app on iPhone by going to App View > Arrangement.
- Use List View - Hate the grid view? Open up the Watch app on iPhone, tap "App View" and then choose List View to see all of your apps in a list when you press the Apple Watch Digital Crown.
- Delete Apps - When your watch is in List View, swipe from right to left to delete an app. This works for third-party apps. You can also do this by holding down on an icon in the grid view.
- Quickly Access Favorite Apps - The side button on the watch opens up recent apps by default, but if you go to the Watch app on iPhone and tap "Dock," you can change it to show a selection of favorite apps instead.
- Use Tapback for Messages - When you get a message, a Tapback is a quick and useful way to reply. Just press on any incoming message and you can select a response like like, dislike, laugh, and more.
- Take Advantage of Smart Replies - Smart Replies are also useful for responding to messages on Apple Watch. In the Apple Watch iPhone app under Messages, tap on Default Replies. Tap on any item in the list to customize it, and then when you get a message, swipe down to get to your reply options.
- Silence a Phone Call - You can silence an incoming call by placing a hand over the Apple Watch's display. This will make the ringing stop, but the call won't be declined.
- Clear Notifications - Swipe down on the Apple Watch display to get to notifications, and then scroll all the way up through the list and you'll see a Clear All option to get rid of all of your notifications at once.
- Jump Back to the Top of an App - If you're using an app and need to get back to the top quickly after scrolling down, just tap on the time in the right corner.
- See Battery Life in Nightstand Mode - When your Apple Watch is charging in Nightstand Mode, tap on the battery icon. Make sure Nightstand Mode is on by opening up the Apple Watch app on iPhone, tapping "General" and then toggling on Nightstand Mode.
- Swap Between Apps Quickly - Want to get back to the last app you used? Just double press on the Digital Crown.
- Access Control Center - There are lots of quick tap controls on the Apple Watch in the Control Center. Swipe up from the bottom of the Apple Watch display to get to it. If you're inside an app, press and hold for a second or two and then swipe up.
- Ping a Lost iPhone - Open up Control Center and then tap the little phone icon to ping your connected iPhone. It's a useful way to find an iPhone you've misplaced. When it's pinging, hold down on the phone icon if you also want to make the camera flash.
- Skip the Workout Countdown - There's a three second countdown when launching a Workout. To skip it, tap on the display.
- Pause a Workout - You can quickly pause a workout by pressing the Digital Crown and the Side button together. Press them again to unpause.
- Mark Workout Segments - In some workouts, it's useful to mark segments. To do so, double tap on the Apple Watch's display during a workout.
- Make the Mickey Face Tell the Time - If you're using the Mickey or Minnie Apple Watch faces, you can tap on the characters to have them read the time. Note that your sound needs to be on for this to work.
- Have Siri Read the Time - With any watch face, tap and then hold with two fingers on the display and Siri will read the time. Sound needs to be on.
- Make a Memoji - The Memoji app on Apple Watch, which looks like a little cartoon face, can be used to create Memoji characters right on the watch. Memoji can be set as watch faces.
- Control AirPods - You can use Siri to control your AirPods, skipping songs and adjusting volume. If you have AirPods Max or AirPods Pro, Siri can also toggle on Active Noise Cancellation and Transparency mode.
Have other useful Apple Watch tips that we didn't mention here? Let us know in the comments.
Apple today announced a few workout-related features coming to watchOS 8 and Apple Fitness+. Starting with watchOS 8, users will be able to track Tai Chi and Pilates workout styles on their Apple Watch. Apple said that the new workouts are supported by powerful custom-built heart rate and motion algorithms to provide users with accurate metrics.
Apple Fitness+ is also gaining a few...
Apple today previewed a long list of new accessibility features coming soon, including AssistiveTouch for the Apple Watch, which will allow users to control an Apple Watch without ever having to touch the display or controls.
Aided by on-device machine learning, the Apple Watch's gyroscope, accelerometer, and heart rate sensor will be able to detect subtle differences in muscle movement and...
Apple today seeded the sixth beta of an upcoming watchOS 7.4 update to developers for testing purposes, with the new beta coming one week release of the fifth beta and over two months after the launch of watchOS 7.3 with "Time to Walk" functionality, expanded ECG availability, and a new Unity watch face.
To install the watchOS 7.4 beta, developers need to download the proper configuration ...
Apple today seeded the seventh beta of an upcoming watchOS 7.4 update to developers for testing purposes, with the new beta coming one week release of the sixth beta and over two months after the launch of watchOS 7.3 with "Time to Walk" functionality, expanded ECG availability, and a new Unity watch face.
To install the watchOS 7.4 beta, developers need to download the proper...
Apple is researching a potential radical redesign for the Apple Watch, including a rounded watch face, wrap-around flexible display, and digitally-customizable watch bands, according to a newly-granted patent filing.
The patent, spotted by MacRumors earlier today, is titled "Display Module and System Applications" and was filed with the United States Patent and Trademark Office. The...
Apple today seeded the RC version of an upcoming watchOS 7.4 update to developers for testing purposes, with the new beta coming two weeks release of the seventh beta and over two months after the launch of watchOS 7.3 with "Time to Walk" functionality, expanded ECG availability, and a new Unity watch face.
To install the watchOS 7.4 beta, developers need to download the proper...
With the launch of iOS 14.5 and watchOS 7.4, Apple introduced a feature that's designed to allow people wearing masks to unlock their iPhones with a paired and authenticated Apple Watch, alleviating the need to continually enter a passcode.
Apple has published a support document outlining how the feature works and the requirements that enable it to function. Apple says that the Apple Watch...
Apple designed the new Fitness+ service to work with a paired Apple Watch as the Apple Watch is meant to allow you to track your metrics while you follow along on a workout, but as it turns out, an Apple Watch isn't strictly necessary to use the Fitness+ app on an iPhone or iPad.
When starting a Fitness+ workout on iPhone or iPad when you're not wearing an Apple Watch, the app asks if you...
It's now been a few months since the M1 Pro and M1 Max MacBook Pro models launched in October, and MacRumors video editor Dan Barbera has been using one of the new machines since they debuted. Over on the MacRumors YouTube channel, Dan has shared a three month review of his MacBook Pro to see how it has held up over time and how it's changed his workflow.
Subscribe to the MacRumors YouTube ...
Apple's AirPods have been credited with saving a woman's life after a potentially fatal fall, People reports.
When a 60-year-old florist in New Jersey tripped and hit her head in her studio, she lost consciousness and awoke heavily bleeding. With nobody around to call for help, she realized she had her AirPods in, and used a "Hey Siri" command to call 911. An operator was able to stay on the ...
Apple suppliers will begin producing display panels for the third-generation iPhone SE this month, with final assembly of the device likely to start in March, according to information shared by display industry consultant Ross Young.
Based on this production timeframe, Young believes the third-generation iPhone SE is likely to launch in the second half of April, or perhaps in early May at...
Apple will no longer include EarPods with every iPhone sold in France, starting on January 24, according to a notice posted by a French carrier (via iGeneration). Apple was previously required to include EarPods in the box with the iPhone due to a French law that required every smartphone sold in the country to come with a "handsfree kit," but the law has now been changed in favor of reducing the ...
Earlier this week, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman tweeted that Apple "will be holding a spring event" to announce a new iPhone SE and other hardware. In a recent edition of his newsletter, Gurman said the event is likely to occur in March or April.
Gurman did not elaborate on what "other hardware" will be announced at Apple's purported spring event, but rumors suggest at least four products are...
Apple is now requiring that customers in the United States verify that they're active students, teachers, or staff members at an educational institution in order to access education discounts on products.
Previously, little verification was needed for customers to purchase products through Apple's education store in the United States. Apple's education stores offer models of the iPad and Mac ...
Apple today released a new 4C170 firmware update for the AirPods 3, an update from the prior 4C165 that was made available in December.
Apple does not offer details on what's included in new firmware updates for the AirPods, so we don't know what improvements or bug fixes the new firmware brings.
There is no standard way to upgrade the AirPods software, but firmware is...
Apple patched two significant security vulnerabilities when it released iOS 15 that could have potentially exposed users' private Apple ID information and in-app search history to malicious third-party apps and allowed apps to override user Privacy preferences, Apple has revealed in a recent support document update.
With most iOS, macOS, tvOS, and watchOS updates, Apple provides a list of...
The watchOS 8.4 release candidate that was seeded to developers and beta testers this morning addresses an ongoing bug that could cause some Apple Watch chargers not to work properly with the Apple Watch.
Back in December, we reported on a growing number of charging issues that Apple Watch Series 7 owners were facing. Since watchOS 8.3, there have been a number of complaints about...