As promised, Nvidia last night introduced beta macOS drivers for its latest GeForce 10-series graphics cards, enabling macOS support for cards ranging from the GeForce GTX 1050 to the newly announced Nvidia Titan Xp.

macOS drivers for Nvidia's Pascal 10-series graphics cards will be of interest to those who build Hackintosh machines, use external GPUs, and those who own older Mac Pro machines that can be updated with newer GPUs. Apple has not used Nvidia GPUs in its Macs for several years now, favoring AMD instead.

nvidiatitanxp
Nvidia first said it would release macOS drivers for its latest line of graphics cards when it announced the launch of the Nvidia Titan Xp, which Nvidia says is the world's most powerful graphics card with 12GB of GDDR5X memory running at 11.4 Gb/s, 3,840 CUDA cores running at 1.6GHz, and 12 TFLOPS of processing power.

Prior to the release of the drivers, Mac users were only able to use previous-generation Maxwell-based 9-series GPUs.

The new macOS Pascal drivers can be downloaded directly from Nvidia.

Tag: Nvidia

lamunkya Avatar
Now anybody with a $800 budget can build a hackintosh that runs circles around a $6000 mac pro in graphic intensive applications.
M.PaulCezanne Avatar
Will it work in my old LC II?
redheeler Avatar
You can't really compare a custom-built Hackintosh with consumer-grade components to a workstation/pro-grade computer like the Mac Pro; but I agree the Mac Pro is still way too expensive for 2013 hardware, even after the price drop.
[doublepost=1491947007][/doublepost]
Will it work in my old LC II?
No, you'd need at least an LC III and even then it may not work.
ikir Avatar
Played tonight with my MacBook Pro 13 2016 with GTX 1070! A dream!!!
Benchmark soon on www.egpu.io (http://www.egpu.io)
[doublepost=1491953462][/doublepost]
I wish my MBP 2016 has a PCI slot on its side.
I am happy to give up one of USB port.
Yeah they are called Thunderbolt
Appleaker Avatar
A bit late to this story, but nevertheless I'm excited to see the performance in eGPU enclosures and differences between macOS and Windows.
GeneralChang Avatar
Your comment made me curious, so I did some quick pricing, and minus extras like finishing off the cooling system and stuff like monitors and whatnot, probably the cheapest you could go and still "run circles" around the $6000 Mac Pro is probably at least $1500. I mean, obviously waaaaay cheaper, and I assume you were just being hyperbolic with the $800 budget. But I spent the time looking, so I thought I'd share.

That said, I loved the tone of last week's press meet with Phil and Craig. "We know the Mac Pro is a mess, we're sorry, we're going to fix it, please don't leave us." :D
[doublepost=1491947869][/doublepost]
Is this compatible with my 5k iMac, both on the Mac and Windows/boot camp?

I could not find anything online to confirm. Thanks.
I know there are hoops to jump through getting eGPUs working with macOS, especially if you're going to be running TB2 with an iMac. But if you're interested this place ('https://egpu.io/setup-guide-external-graphics-card-mac/') looks like a pretty good resource for getting started. Windows probably has better support, but I'm less familiar with eGPU efforts on that side of the coin.