Refreshed internals, lower price point possible.
Apple Releases macOS Sierra 10.12.1 With Bug Fixes, Features for Upcoming Macs
macOS Sierra 10.12.1 is available for free to all customers who are running macOS Sierra. It can be downloaded from the Software Update function in the Mac App Store.
macOS Sierra 10.12.1 features few outward-facing changes, instead focusing on bug fixes and improvements to address issues that have surfaced since the release of the operating system. It does include Photos support for the new iPhone 7 Plus Portrait feature introduced with iOS 10.1, and it also includes features designed for next-generation MacBook Pro models that are set to be released later this year. Here's a full list of changes:
This update:Apple has been on an accelerated timeline to get macOS Sierra 10.12.1 released, and it has likely already been sent to Apple's supply chain partners to be installed on new machines. New MacBook Pro models could be ready to launch as soon as late October.
- Adds an automatic smart album in Photos for Depth Effect images taken on iPhone 7 Plus
- Improves the compatibility of Microsoft Office when using iCloud Desktop and Documents
- Fixes an issue that may prevent Mail from updating when using a Microsoft Exchange account
- Fixes an issue that caused text to sometimes paste incorrectly when using Universal Clipboard
- Improves reliability of Auto Unlock with Apple Watch
- Improves security and stability in Safari
macOS Sierra is a major operating system update that introduces Siri support, cross device copy paste options, new storage optimization tools, auto unlocking with the Apple Watch, and more. For full details on the features that are new in macOS Sierra, make sure to check out our full macOS Sierra roundup.