Mac Pro Shipping Estimates Improve to 3 to 5 Weeks

Apple’s Mac Pro is now shipping within three to five weeks in the United States, a slight improvement from its previous shipping estimate of four to five weeks.

Both stock and custom configurations list the same shipping estimates, indicating that Apple is slowly making its way towards achieving supply/demand balance on the professional desktop computers.

macproshippingestimates
In early April, shipping estimates were as high as five to six weeks and back in early 2014, shipping estimates were as high as eight weeks, with Apple giving estimates of "March" or "April" for computers ordered in January or February.

Apple’s Mac Pro has been in short supply since its December launch, selling out of stock configurations in a matter of hours. While some early buyers received their machines as early as December 24, buyers who ordered custom configurations had to wait much longer to receive their machines, as did purchasers who ordered after December 19.

"Demand for the all new Mac Pro is great," said an Apple spokesperson in December. "It will take time before supply catches up with demand."

Related Roundup: Mac Pro
Buyer's Guide: Mac Pro (Neutral)
Related Forum: Mac Pro

iPhone 16 Pro Max Generic Feature 2

5 Biggest Changes Rumored for iPhone 16 Pro Max

Tuesday May 21, 2024 7:29 am PDT by

hfuhruhurr Avatar

Waiting a month is a deal breaker for you? Wait, no, it's more than a deal breaker for you...it eradicates all desire for the item. It's as if you never wanted it in the first place. Look at that: Apple just saved you from wasting thousands of dollars on something you didn't want. You're welcome.
Naaaaak Avatar
I feel bad saying this, but if this was produced in China it seems like this would have been resolved months ago.
mrxak Avatar
3-5 weeks is an improvement? Geez, I was looking at that timeframe yesterday and I couldn't believe they were still shipping so slowly. I can't help but think, this is why nobody manufacturers electronics in the US. If these were made in China I would have figured Apple could just snap their fingers, add new production lines, and hire a thousand new workers overnight.

I have to say, as somebody who is potentially in the market for one of these, it turns me off the thing completely. Hopefully by the second generation they've gotten their acts together. It's been almost a year since these things were announced. It's been much longer than that since people have been clamoring for them. But Apple completely underestimated demand.
aloshka Avatar
I agree. I've been in the Apple eco system since 2001. On the whole I love it. There were times when they'd do something and my attitude was, 'well that's life', or 'if you don't like it take your money elsewhere'.
Lately tho I've found myself on the wrong side of the choices they make and I've come to the conclusion that although I love their products, I don't like them as a company.
I'm running ML on a MP1,1. Something they said was not possible as my 64 bit computer, (pretty sure it was advertised that way), actually has a 32bit weak spot.
There are lots more examples but now is not the time.
I think with Apple you have to stay on top and be a consistent early adopter. I think I never have the issues you have because I always sell old equipment and upgrade. With Apple it's easy because all things hold their value and are easily sold and the money reused to buy something new (assuming you don't wait 4 iterations). I learned it's not that much more expensive than holding on to something old and having constant support issues and frustrations. I guess, in a sense, I'm Apple's perfect customer. They never need to support me, because I'm always under warranty (with the exception of large-scale items like the Mac Pro, which I do not upgrade until Apple care is close to running out). But my problems are always minor. But then again, my equipment/devices are my job. It's where all my income comes from, so it would be silly to try to make old computers work or not have the top of the line tools for the job I need to do. In my job time = money. I never ever understood people that work behind computers for 9-12 hours a day and have crappy monitors and say they don't want to spend that much money on computer equipment... It almost sounds like they don't care for themselves, in a sense.

The other thing that boggles my mind are the people that hold on to an iPhone 3g and are pissed that they can't run iOS7 on it. No old hardware can run new OS's and not have issues. I don't see anyone running Windows 8 on an old 2001 compaq computer and then complain that it's too slow or has a slew of problems. Yes, phones are not that old, but phones are also released in yearly cycles, so in a sense they are that old.

In fact, if anything, that's why Windows has such a bad rep nowadays because they hold on to legacy software for such a long time and ensure that things are as far backward compatible as possible which causes too much bloat and is not intuitive or easy to use. Windows 8 went away with that and came with a totally new design and look where that landed them?–although to be fair, it's a stupid design to begin with, a tablet is not a PC.

But you can't have it both ways. Apple just choose the "let's not support crap from 2001" path which makes people angry. Microsoft chose the "let's continue supporting windows xp" route, which they also got scorched for. Then when they realized they don't want to do that, they got scorched again for dropping support for old equipment. I don't think there is a right answer to this.
jayducharme Avatar
I wonder when these will drop under $2k
When they appear on eBay in ten years.

I can't believe so many people are saying this. Everyone complains about how manufacturing has left the US and how we're giving all our money to China. Then when Apple tries to bring manufacturing back to this country (remember that this is their first go at it), everyone complains that they're not making Mac Pros fast enough. I mean, how many of the people who complain are buying a Mac Pro? The people who really wanted them pre-ordered them and are now using them.

I for one am thrilled that Apple has taken the approach they have. If it means waiting a measly month to get a computer, so be it. It's been less than a half-year; production will eventually ramp up to meet demand. (Heck, maybe it already has!)
skellener Avatar
Ordered mine BTO on March 25th. Arrived today, April 29, at the Apple Store down the street. 35 days. :D