Shipping Estimates for 21.5-Inch and 27-Inch iMac Drop to 1-3 Days in US and Canada

Shipping estimates for new orders of the 21.5-inch and 27-inch iMac dramatically improved today, with both models now shipping in 1–3 days from the online Apple Stores in Canada and the United States.

imacshiptimes
In January, shipping times for the 21.5-inch iMac slipped to 2–3 weeks, and the 27-inch iMac has been in short supply since its November release. The supply shortage has been attributed to issues with display production resulting from a new lamination process.

During Apple's first quarter financial call, Tim Cook noted that iMac supply constraints in the fourth quarter had impacted sales results. He expected supplies to increase during Q1 2013, which was confirmed in late January with a report that assembly rates for the iMac had been improved.

Apple's redesigned iMac is considerably thinner than its predecessor, with 40 percent less volume and a 5mm edge. The newly implemented lamination process provides improved optical quality and an anti-reflective coating.

Update: As noted by MacRumors forum members, changing the base configuration of the iMac results in a shipping time of 2-3 weeks.

Related Roundup: iMac
Buyer's Guide: iMac (Neutral)
Related Forum: iMac

iPhone 16 Pro Max Generic Feature 2

5 Biggest Changes Rumored for iPhone 16 Pro Max

Tuesday May 21, 2024 7:29 am PDT by

komodrone Avatar
I'm already waiting for the next generation to come out. Because the iMacs are still too fat and I believe my life will be vastly improved when the iMac is paper thin. The iMac should float too, I'm sick of the stand.
smiddlehurst Avatar
I'll be amazed if these versions sell more than the previous ones... what with the previous ones being worlds more upgradeable (just like the retina macbook pros vs previous macbook pros.
Then, without wishing to be rude, you haven't been paying attention. The vast majority of customers don't care about upgrading their PC's and haven't done for some time. The PC has become a device and that's the way it should be for the vast majority of users. If an iMac breaks you take it to the Apple store and either get it fixed under warranty, pay for a repair or buy a new one. It's time for people like us to realise that the... oh, call it 15 year spell from around 1995 to 2010 where the PC became essential but still relied on technical knowledge to work and maintain it was a blip. Computers should, dare I say, just work and require no more specialist knowledge to own than a car. Very very basic maintenance tasks are done by the owner but for anything more that dedicated service centres are used. How things work isn't really important, what it lets you do is.

Sure there will always be a small number of users who want to open their PC's up and either change or repair them on their own terms. But that's a tiny percentage of the total user base, heck even a lot of 'pro' (i.e. business) users don't do that any more with 3 or 5 year warranties being taken up instead. When it breaks outside of that it's on a replacement schedule with funds set aside in the budget for that very purpose.

On a related note I've never been able to figure out the dismissive attitude to attractive looking desktops. Sure, when I'm sitting in front of my iMac (2011 model with a new 27" on order) I can't see the sides, fair enough. But every time I stand up, every time I walk past the home office or do anything in that room that doesn't involve sitting in front of the screen the design is clearly visible. Am I buying an iMac to show off to my friends? Nope, not at all. But I am buying it (at least in part) because I like having things in my home that are well designed and in a very small way are enjoyable to look at. I've had self-built tower PC's since, yikes, 1998 and while they may give the most bang for the buck my priorities have shifted. Nowadays I'd much rather pay a little more for a great looking near-silent computer that doesn't clutter up the room. Of course I understand that others have different priorities and that's fine but I do wish that sentiment was shared a bit more than it is.
Santabean2000 Avatar
This is good news; I'm waiting for the new Thinderbolt Display - which I don't think will come anytime before the iMacs are under control. And it seems that, now, perhaps they are!#
6749974 Avatar
I'm surprised at how short sighted some macrumors readers are. In 20-30 years every computer will in essence be a smart display. That is the direction of innovation. Like it or not. So Apple starts moving towards that and some people can't grasp it. Form is function. If you can't comprehend that, that's not Apple's fault. Get over yourselves.

----------

Yeah, Apple is so stupid to waste their time and energy making iMacs thinner and lighter, it's not useful for a desktop computer! :rolleyes:

Image (http://www.patentlyapple.com/.a/6a0120a5580826970c0133f34442aa970b-800wi)

Thank you! I don't think some readers think past tomorrow.
DCJ001 Avatar
No way. That chin is way to fat to be a desktop. What's the point of having a desktop if it's some 2 pound monstrosity? Steve would never have allowed that.

The 2015 iMac will be worn and projected from your wrist. Why else would they be working on curved glass?

Also, priced at 79.99. You heard it here first.

And last!
camnchar Avatar

Steve Jobs would never have allowed the iMac to get fatter in the middle than it is on the edges.