Apple Podcasts Announces 'Wiser Than Me With Julia Louis-Dreyfus' as 2023 Show of the Year

Apple Podcasts today named "Wiser Than Me with Julia Louis-Dreyfus" as its Show of the Year for 2023. The annual award recognizes a podcast for its exceptional quality, innovation, and influence within the podcasting industry.

Apple Podcasts Award
"Wiser Than Me" debuted in April 2023 and has since garnered acclaim for its distinctive approach featuring interviews with notable women such as Jane Fonda and Carol Burnett. The podcast explores the themes of life experiences, wisdom, and societal impact.

"Wiser Than Me" held the number one position on the U.S. charts for a record 29 consecutive days. It also ranked fifth on Apple's Top New Shows for 2023 in the U.S. and was listed among the top 10 Most Followed and Most Shared Shows of the year. The podcast's initial episode was also notable, becoming the second Most Shared Episode on ‌Apple Podcasts‌ in the U.S. for 2023.

The selection for the Show of the Year is made by the ‌Apple Podcasts‌ editorial team, who evaluate the content based on its quality and impact, irrespective of its chart position or popularity. "Wiser Than Me" joins a list of previous recipients that include "Code Switch" by NPR (2020), "A Slight Change of Plans" by Pushkin Industries (2021), and "Slow Burn: Roe v. Wade" by Slate (2022).

"Wiser Than Me with Julia Louis-Dreyfus" is available on ‌Apple Podcasts‌, with additional content available via a subscription to Lemonada Premium. "Wiser Than Me" has been renewed for a second season that is due to premiere in spring 2024.

iOS 18 CarPlay Feature

iOS 18 Adds These 5 New Features to CarPlay

Thursday June 13, 2024 7:44 am PDT by
ios 18 button bulge

iOS 18 Adds Pop-Out Bezel Animation When Pressing iPhone Buttons

Tuesday June 11, 2024 10:40 am PDT by
iOS 18 includes a small but interesting change for the buttons on the iPhone, adding more of a visual element when changing volume, activating the Action button, or locking the screen. When you press an iPhone button in iOS 18, the display bezel bulges outward slightly. This feature is available for the volume buttons, Action button and the power button, and it will also likely be used for...
maxresdefault

First Look at Messages via Satellite in iOS 18

Thursday June 13, 2024 11:29 am PDT by
iOS 18 Wallet Feature

Here's What's New in Apple Wallet on iOS 18 for Event Tickets and More

Friday June 14, 2024 7:32 am PDT by

rondeb17 Avatar
What a lame choice for podcast of the year. Nice job by Julia's manager no doubt.
cardfan Avatar

I generally don't do Podcasts...I listen to music/audio as mainly background music while I concentrate elsewhere. I have a hard time truly listening AND doing something else productively.

That said, I will give this a try, this isn't a series I probably would have tried but the premise sounds...insightful and may broaden my knowledge for growth I didn't know I could use.
I think i'd rather be subjected to my kid's playlist than listen to this.
smoking monkey Avatar
Sounds as fun as getting a tooth extracted. But each to their own and all that.

The Podcast App keeps getting worse. Now I have to put up with whatever Podcasts Apple are hawking for the month appearing at the bottom of my screen every time I open the app.
BJMRamage Avatar

erinsarah Avatar

I don't like the commercialization that's going on with Podcasts. I get it, it wouldn't be bad on its own, but it seems to be strangling the independent industry.

I'm not interested in 99% of what Apple promotes. Seems to be mostly crime shows.

However, this is an excellent premise for a podcast and I think this was a good choice.
It was a good choice, and I also agree with you about the commercialization aspect of the industry. More specifically I'm noticing a trend where the most popular ones are produced by already-famous people (this one, Smartless, Chinwag, etc), which makes me think about the popularity of children's books by famous people - it feels like the only way for a children's book to be commercially successful is for a famous person to have written it and, more importantly, put their money behind the marketing of it. Henry Winkler writes a children's book and gets a spot on The View. When was the last time Jane-Random-Author did that?
CarAnalogy Avatar