iPadOS 17 Drops Support for These iPads

Apple on Monday previewed iPadOS 17, its latest operating system for the iPad. Available in beta now and launching in the fall, iPadOS 17 drops support for a couple of iPad models compared to iPadOS 16, according to Apple's website.

ipados 17
iPadOS 17 drops support for the following iPads:

• iPad Pro (1st generation)
  • iPad (5th generation)

iPadOS 17 remains compatible with the following iPad models:

• iPad Pro (2nd generation and later)
  • iPad Air (3rd generation and later)
  • iPad (6th generation and later)
  • iPad mini (5th generation and later)

iPadOS 17 will likely be released in October, just as iPadOS 16 was last year.

Related Roundups: iOS 17, iPadOS 17
Related Forums: iOS 17, iPadOS 17

iPhone 15 Pro Cameras

iPhone 17 Pro Max Will Be First Model to Feature Three 48MP Cameras

Thursday July 11, 2024 12:20 am PDT by
Beyond iPhone 13 Better Blue Face ID Single Camera Hole

10 Reasons to Wait for Next Year's iPhone 17

Monday July 8, 2024 5:00 am PDT by
maxresdefault

Apple's AirPods Pro 2 vs. Samsung's Galaxy Buds3 Pro

Saturday July 13, 2024 8:00 am PDT by
Samsung this week introduced its latest earbuds, the Galaxy Buds3 Pro, which look quite a bit like Apple's AirPods Pro 2. Given the similarities, we thought we'd compare Samsung's new earbuds to the AirPods Pro. Subscribe to the MacRumors YouTube channel for more videos. Design wise, you could potentially mistake Samsung's Galaxy Buds3 Pro for the AirPods Pro. The Buds3 Pro have the same...
primeday2020 feature3

The Best Early Prime Day Deals on Apple Products

Saturday July 13, 2024 6:23 am PDT by
Amazon is soon to be back with its annual summertime Prime Day event, lasting for just two days from July 16-17. As it does every year, Prime Day offers shoppers a huge selection of deals across Amazon's storefront, and there are already many deals you can get on sale ahead of the event. Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Amazon. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may...

klky Avatar
My 2018 11" iPad Pro lives on! Still the best bang for buck Apple purchase I've made.
MVMNT Avatar
A10X chip still going strong then
PeteBurgh Avatar

Absolutely, you took the words right out of my mouth. For a while after I bought it, I wondered if I'd overspent on an indulgence. But it's going strong, fast and smooth as ever, without only a modest amount of battery decline.

If it gets dropped by iOS 18 next year, that will be 6 years of service - not bad!
Little Endian Avatar

Yup hanging on to my 2018 11” iPad Pro. Sadly this is my 3rd one!!! First one lasted 2 years and 2 months before I accidentally dropped it with a crappy case. Ouch!! just barely out of Apple Care+ warranty. Had to pay for out of warranty replacement. Unlucky again when that replacement got cracked due to a seat belt buckle a little over a year later. Paid for out of warranty replacement again.

Both times I thought about upgrading to a newer model but the 2018 iPad pro was just that good. It was cheaper to pay for the out of warranty replacement of $499 for a 256gb LTE model than springing for equivalent newer model replacement. The newer models just didn’t add enough features or performance gains to warrant upgrading.

Here we are in 2023 and this 2018 iPad pro performs just as well as my 2022 iPhone 14 pro. Probably won’t upgrade until 2025.
ApplesAreSweet&Sour Avatar
I’ve read that your iPad will essentially brick and get stuck on Siri guiding you to your nearest Apple Store if your iPad doesn’t support iPadOS 17.

So if your iPad gets dropped then you have the option to either cry your eyes out here on MR or go get a new iPad.

The day iPadOS 17 drops is the last time you’ll be able to use your iPad.

You have been warned.

/s
Electroni Avatar
I have a first generation iPad Pro 12.9” and it’s disappointing Apple is dropping ipadOS support for it as it has no problems whatsoever running ver. 16 (not sure about the smaller 9.7” first-gen Pro variant since it has half the amount of RAM the 12.9” has).

That said, I believe Apple continues releasing security updates for the previous version of iOS for a year past the release of the new version so I guess I’ll wait until next summer and see what’s available to upgrade to at that point.