iOS 15.3 Fixes Issue With HomeKit Camera Thumbnails Failing to Refresh

Apple released iOS 15.3 and iPadOS 15.3 on Wednesday with several security fixes, and we have since learned that the software updates also resolve an issue with HomeKit camera thumbnails failing to refresh for some users in the Home app.

HomeKit Camera Thumbnails
HomeKit Secure Video cameras added to the Home app each have a thumbnail that provides a still view of recent footage, and normally these thumbnails automatically refresh periodically. In recent weeks, however, some iPhone and iPad users had experienced an issue with the thumbnails failing to refresh and showing outdated footage.

As alerted to us by reader Collin A. Zimmerman and others, users who have updated to iOS 15.3 and iPadOS 15.3 are reporting that the bug has been fixed, with HomeKit camera thumbnails now behaving properly in the Home app.

iOS 15.3, iPadOS 15.3, and macOS 12.2 are relatively minor updates in terms of new features. Apple still has a few new features promised for early 2022, including Universal Control and the ability to add an ID to the Wallet app in participating U.S. states, and those features could potentially arrive with the next round of updates.

Related Forum: iOS 15

iPhone 15 Pro Cameras

iPhone 17 Pro Max Will Be First Model to Feature Three 48MP Cameras

Thursday July 11, 2024 12:20 am PDT by
Beyond iPhone 13 Better Blue Face ID Single Camera Hole

10 Reasons to Wait for Next Year's iPhone 17

Monday July 8, 2024 5:00 am PDT by
maxresdefault

Apple's AirPods Pro 2 vs. Samsung's Galaxy Buds3 Pro

Saturday July 13, 2024 8:00 am PDT by
Samsung this week introduced its latest earbuds, the Galaxy Buds3 Pro, which look quite a bit like Apple's AirPods Pro 2. Given the similarities, we thought we'd compare Samsung's new earbuds to the AirPods Pro. Subscribe to the MacRumors YouTube channel for more videos. Design wise, you could potentially mistake Samsung's Galaxy Buds3 Pro for the AirPods Pro. The Buds3 Pro have the same...
primeday2020 feature3

The Best Early Prime Day Deals on Apple Products

Saturday July 13, 2024 6:23 am PDT by
Amazon is soon to be back with its annual summertime Prime Day event, lasting for just two days from July 16-17. As it does every year, Prime Day offers shoppers a huge selection of deals across Amazon's storefront, and there are already many deals you can get on sale ahead of the event. Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Amazon. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may...

chrono1081 Avatar
That entire app is a mess that needs rewritten. It's like a junior dev wrote it. This is what happens though when people think that people who can pass leetcode interviews can do the work better than those of us who actually write software all day every day. Being able to answer tricky questions on the fly does not translate into architecting an app.
Justin Cymbal Avatar
I’m glad that Apple finally fixed this in the new iOS 15.3 update

I was having this issue with my HomeKit cameras in the Home app as well

I’m planning on upgrading all of my devices to 15.3 tonight when I get back home
TheYayAreaLiving ?️ Avatar

I’m glad that Apple finally fixed this in the new iOS 15.3 update

I was having this issue with my HomeKit cameras in the Home app as well

Upgraded all my :apple: devices last night and everything has been running very smooth. So many bugs have been fixed. This one is just one of many.
Justin Cymbal Avatar

That’s good to know! Yeah, I also did have a couple of bugs with the previous update so I’m glad that Apple took care of fixing those with 15.3
trifero Avatar
It has fixed all the erros I had with my Circle 2, firmware updated for Homekit Secure Video.
marklemac Avatar
The whole "HOME" app needs fixing anyway, it's far to slow at responding and seeing what lights are on/off etc. Quicker to quit the app and reload most of the time, or use the EVE app instead.