Hands-On With iOS 15: See Apple's New Operating System Update in Action

Apple yesterday unveiled iOS 15, the newest version of the iOS operating system that runs on the iPhone (and the iPad with iPadOS 15). iOS 15 is a significant update that introduces many important new features, and we thought we'd give MacRumors readers a first look at the new software.

Not everything that was announced yesterday is functional right now, with Apple planning to roll out and refine features over the beta testing period, but there are quite a few changes that you can see right now after installing iOS 15.

There are major updates to FaceTime and Messages with a new SharePlay feature for listening to music and watching videos with friends, plus a new Focus mode that lets you focus on the task at hand whether that's work, personal time, or something else.

Maps has been overhauled with an updated design and more detail in select cities, plus it supports AR walking directions for the first time. Safari supports Tab Groups for improved organization, and later this year, you'll be able to add your ID card to the Wallet app in some U.S. states. Photos can now read written text and translate it to typed text, and the app can also identify landmarks, plants, pets, and more.

Make sure to watch the video up above to see iOS 15 in action, and for a more complete look at everything that's new in iOS 15, we have a dedicated roundup that walks through all of the new features.

Related Forum: iOS 15

iOS 18 CarPlay Feature

iOS 18 Adds These 5 New Features to CarPlay

Thursday June 13, 2024 7:44 am PDT by
ios 18 button bulge

iOS 18 Adds Pop-Out Bezel Animation When Pressing iPhone Buttons

Tuesday June 11, 2024 10:40 am PDT by
iOS 18 includes a small but interesting change for the buttons on the iPhone, adding more of a visual element when changing volume, activating the Action button, or locking the screen. When you press an iPhone button in iOS 18, the display bezel bulges outward slightly. This feature is available for the volume buttons, Action button and the power button, and it will also likely be used for...
maxresdefault

First Look at Messages via Satellite in iOS 18

Thursday June 13, 2024 11:29 am PDT by
iOS 18 Wallet Feature

Here's What's New in Apple Wallet on iOS 18 for Event Tickets and More

Friday June 14, 2024 7:32 am PDT by

iGeneo Avatar
So many nice little touches ?
augustrushrox Avatar
Maybe I'm alone, but I can't help but think that the progressive rounding of practically everything "kid-ifies" the OS and makes it feel almost patronizing. I believe there's a balance between sharp corners and so round that it looks like an OS for a toddler. Apple, it seems, has ventured now into the realm of "too round". Thoughts?
redscull Avatar

Well I at least agree with you. It's like they've digitized the Fisher Price design philosophy. And filled the screen with bubbles too. I don't like it. Their trend is to use screen real estate less and less efficiently so the screens get bigger with more resolution and yet we don't actually get any more usability out of it.

I do really like a lot of the new features they announced. But the aesthetic is bleh.
timeislove Avatar

I think you are alone. It is one thing to say you don't care for the new design which is fair. it is quite another to suggest that rounded corners make the display look kiddie and patronizing. There is nothing kiddie about round corners. You did a lot of bad projecting.
Kid-dised is just a choice of words. I am happy (and looking forward to) to see upgrade on Map, but I do agree that the new map detail does look like a bit less pro! To avoid from using the word “kiddised” , i would say the city map view looks like a Nintendo Switch version of Simcity.

Rather than upgrading the map details, I like them to enhance the POI support in the Map search (now a bit lacking and more street address based which would be fine for low dense cities and town but difficult for cities full of commercial buildings), also its integration with other native Apps like contact and calendar that they do not support carrying POI to Map app.
Apple_Robert Avatar
I think I will make a MR focus so I don't get disturb. :D

edited to add: I am so glad that tabs and search box was put at the bottom were you fingers normally rest.
TheYayAreaLiving ?️ Avatar

I think I will make a MR focus so I don't get disturb. :D

The maps look so rich and amazing. The details are crazy!!! Can it be September already?