Spotify for Mac Can Now Initiate Streams to Chromecast Devices

Spotify for desktop can now directly initiate Chromecast streams, reports 9to5Google.

spotify mac
Previously, the only way to control Chromecast streams on the desktop app was by initiating the stream on the Spotify mobile app first, but now you can do this directly from your Mac via Spotify Connect.

Starting a Chromecast stream on the desktop app can be done by clicking the Devices Available button on the bottom-right corner of the interface, where Google Cast as well as Spotify Connect-enabled speakers will now appear alongside any Bluetooth or AirPlay devices.

The functionality is available in version 1.1.38 of the Spotify app for Mac, and should delight users who have been asking for it in the Spotify Community forums for years.

iPhone 15 Pro Cameras

iPhone 17 Pro Max Will Be First Model to Feature Three 48MP Cameras

Thursday July 11, 2024 12:20 am PDT by
Beyond iPhone 13 Better Blue Face ID Single Camera Hole

10 Reasons to Wait for Next Year's iPhone 17

Monday July 8, 2024 5:00 am PDT by
maxresdefault

Apple's AirPods Pro 2 vs. Samsung's Galaxy Buds3 Pro

Saturday July 13, 2024 8:00 am PDT by
Samsung this week introduced its latest earbuds, the Galaxy Buds3 Pro, which look quite a bit like Apple's AirPods Pro 2. Given the similarities, we thought we'd compare Samsung's new earbuds to the AirPods Pro. Subscribe to the MacRumors YouTube channel for more videos. Design wise, you could potentially mistake Samsung's Galaxy Buds3 Pro for the AirPods Pro. The Buds3 Pro have the same...
primeday2020 feature3

The Best Early Prime Day Deals on Apple Products

Saturday July 13, 2024 6:23 am PDT by
Amazon is soon to be back with its annual summertime Prime Day event, lasting for just two days from July 16-17. As it does every year, Prime Day offers shoppers a huge selection of deals across Amazon's storefront, and there are already many deals you can get on sale ahead of the event. Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Amazon. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may...

ChrisMoBro Avatar
All these minor updates and yet Spotify ignore the one that every Apple Watch owner wants: offline playback
GreyOS Avatar
Be great if a tech site like this one could cover how they are doing this. I have been told and always believed it wasn’t possible before because there is no Chromecast API for desktop applications, only iOS, Android and Chrome.

Quick check suggests this is still the case:

So perhaps Spotify have access to a special, private API? Would be interesting to know.

Attachment Image
itsmilo Avatar
Huh? I have been forever able to initiate the stream from the Mac app to my android tv and the Google Dot in my bathroom ? what’s the difference?

ironically I can no longer see the Google Dot on the list of devices to stream to on my iPhone app. I have to play a song via Google command directly on my Google Dot first and only then I can control the music on the Dot via my iPhone
eatrains Avatar
Too bad the rest of the app is still garbage.
Ritmo Avatar

Quick check suggests this is still the case:

Or perhaps API is just a contract between the 2 parties and it's not rocket science to figure it out? There are even open source implementations, e.g. https://github.com/insidegui/ChromeCastCore, that can be used outside of iOS world.
LiE_ Avatar
Those that show as "Spotify Connect" I've always been able to use from the Desktop e.g. my Sonos speakers. I cannot see any of my Google Home devices from the Desktop, where as I can see them on my iPhone. These devices show as "Google Cast", I presume these are the devices being made available now?