Alongside iOS and iPadOS 13.3.1, Apple has released new 13.3.1 software for the HomePod, introducing some minor bug fixes and performance improvements.

Today's update brings support for Indian English Siri voices and Apple says it also includes "general improvements for stability and quality."

homepod duo
The new ‌‌‌HomePod‌‌‌ software will be installed automatically on the ‌‌‌HomePod‌‌‌, but you can also manually update and check your software version by following the instructions in our HomePod software how to.

kissmo Avatar
Waiting for the Brave to confirm this doesn't brick the homepod.
I cannot afford to have it bricked since I moved temporarily to Hungary and Apple support here is abysmal.
Applebot1 Avatar

I just wish they would update it to allow adjustments to the bass. It’s too bass-y for my apartment and I begrudgingly had to return it. But I’ll totally re-buy it as soon as the sound becomes customize-able!
That’s interesting because there was an early update that reduced the bass. I preferred that sound signature.

Totally agree, we need the ability to adjust sound settings.
MauiPa Avatar

Seeing that Sonos just bricked perfectly fine speakers if you wanted to upgrade makes me feel uncomfortable owning any smart speaker knowing they can be remotely bricked or just left without updates and just stop working. Since the HomePod has not a single input you can’t use them with anything else once Apple decides for you to abandon them.
I get it - Sonos bad. Maybe you could help educate me, I am not aware of Apple (who has been in business for many years longer than Sonos) of ever intentionally bricking devices (yes that oops moment with a bad software update on HomePod, but they replaced those and it was a mistake). Maybe you can send links to articles where this has happened, I'm not finding any.

Typically as an Apple product ages and does not have adequate hardware to keep up with new OS features, you can still keep using them on the old OS's, nothing lost, just lack of unsupported new features. Never heard of them bricking devices though
Randel.D Avatar
H3LL5P4WN Avatar
This better fix stereo pairing + connecting to the Apple TV.

At this point, I've basically paid $700 for a pair of lumps that have really only worked at various points on iOS 12.
SBlue1 Avatar

+1. My neighbor complained about the bass. We need an apartment setting
I was stunned when I found out there is no equalizer. Even the cheapest sound systems have at least something like a bass and loudness button. You can’t even tell Siri to turn down the bass as far as I know.