HomePod 12.1.1 Update and Shortcuts 2.1.2 Released, But No Sign of watchOS 5.1.2 Yet
Alongside the public release of iOS 12.1.1, macOS Mojave 10.14.2, and tvOS 12.1.1, Apple today released a companion 12.1.1 software update for the HomePod and updated its Shortcuts app for iOS 12 to version 2.1.2.
The software update for HomePod is a relatively minor one, adding Siri support for Cantonese and Mandarin in China and a Cantonese dialect in Hong Kong ahead of the HomePod's release in those regions in early 2019. In addition, the LEDs on the top of the HomePod will now illuminate during Group FaceTime calls.
The new HomePod software will be installed automatically on the HomePod upon updating to iOS 12.1.1 on a paired iPhone, but you can also manually update and check your software version by following these instructions.
Shortcuts 2.1.2, a free update on the App Store, features a new "Post to Tumblr" action, iCloud sync improvements, localization improvements, and a long list of bug fixes per Apple's release notes:
- Fixed an issue where the screen describing which apps and services are used by a shortcut may not appear when downloading a shortcut
- Fixed an issue that caused shortcuts with the Open App or Play Sound actions to fail when Siri is used to run the shortcuts
- Fixed an issue where shortcuts with Repeat with Each actions may freeze when they're run from the widget or Library tab
- Fixed an issue where the Phone Number action may not understand phone numbers that contain commas (pauses) or have long extension codes
- Fixed an issue where the Show Directions action may not work when it's run from the Shortcuts Today View widget on the Lock screen
- Fixed an issue where the Add New Reminder action doesn't work when a time or location isn't entered
- Fixed an issue where the Send Payment action may not appear to finish when making Apple Pay Cash payments
- Fixed an issue where the Ask for Input action's default answer field for dates wouldn’t support 24-hour time
- Fixed an issue where the Get Name of Emoji action showed the emoji name in English when the device is set to another language
- Fixed an issue where some shortcuts may show an error message when they're run from Search
- Fixed an issue where shortcuts may fail to download web pages with long Unicode titles
- Fixed an issue where the Run Editorial Workflow action doesn't pass a result
Last week, MacRumors revealed that the publicly released version of watchOS 5.1.2 will enable ECG functionality on Apple Watch Series 4 models, but there is no sign of that software update so far today.