Apple Releases watchOS 5.0.1 Update for Apple Watch With Activity Ring Fix

Apple today released a new software update for the Apple Watch, upgrading watchOS 5 to watchOS 5.0.1. The new watchOS 5.0.1 release comes 10 days after Apple released the watchOS 5 update.

watchOS 5.0.1 can be downloaded for free through the dedicated Apple Watch app on the iPhone by going to General -> Software Update.

watchos5walkietalkieseries4
To install the new software, the Apple Watch needs to have at least 50 percent battery, it needs to be placed on a charger, and it needs to be in range of the iPhone.

The watchOS 5.0.1 update is minor in scale and focuses on fixing bugs that have been discovered since the watchOS 5 update. According to Apple's release notes, watchOS 5.0.1 addresses an issue that caused a "small number of users" to see increased exercise minutes, fixes a bug that caused some users not to receive stand credit in the afternoon, and solves a problem that could prevent the Apple Watch from charging.

watchOS 5, the latest major watchOS update, brought a slew of new features to the operating system. It includes Activity Competitions for challenging friends, a Walkie-Talkie mode with real-time push-to-talk communication, support for Siri shortcuts, new watch faces, and tons more.

For details on everything new in watchOS 5, make sure to check ourtour watchOS 5 roundup.

Related Roundup: Apple Watch Series 9
Buyer's Guide: Apple Watch (Caution)

iOS 17

Apple Sheds More Light on iOS 17.5 Bug That Resurfaced Deleted Photos

Friday May 24, 2024 2:36 am PDT by

PBG4 Dude Avatar
Good thing I am staying away from 12 on my main devices - I only have it on my iPad 10.5 which I don’t care if it’s flaky - I think by 12.02, 12.03,12.1 a lot more uncovered bugs will be squashed
This is about WatchOS 5.0.1, not iOS 12.
djcerla Avatar
After just 2 days with the AW4 Cellular, carrying the iPhone when I go out is a complete no-no.

It’s a wonderful feeling of freedom; now I realize how much useless social network and website checking I was doing. A complete revelation. This is the beginning of the end for the smartphone as far as I can tell.
jud.stade Avatar
Any word on if this brings back missing complications, like Messages and Home?
Black Magic Avatar
This is a watchOS update. Also, not sure why you are holding off from updating to iOS 12? You are only hurting yourself and missing out on performance and features. Sometimes people can be too smart for themselves.
Braderunner Avatar
I hope that one day, Apple does away with "Make sure Apple Watch is on it's charger".
Chloros Avatar
Downloaded/installing in the UK.
Great news...ill go ahead and update the internet