Yesterday, Apple responded to customer complaints about how the company handles power management features in older iPhone models and decided to reduce the price for out-of-warranty iPhone battery replacements from $79 to $29, beginning in late January and lasting through December 2018. In response, iFixit has decided to match that price point and lower the cost of every DIY iPhone battery fix kit to $29 or less.

iFixit's kits include every tool that you need to open up an iPhone and swap out an old battery for a new one, and includes coverage for the iPhone 7, 7 Plus, 6s, 6s Plus, 6, 6 Plus, SE, 5, 5c, 5s, and 4s. Apple's lowered price covers "anyone with an iPhone 6 or later whose battery needs to be replaced," so iFixit's fix kits also include coverage for older iPhone models excluded from Apple's new program.

ifixit iphone 6
The difference with iFixit is that you'll have to upgrade and swap out the battery on your own -- unlike paying Apple to do it for you -- but iFixit explained a few benefits that its DIY fix kits offer.

When we ask our customers why they do the repair themselves rather than take it to Apple, they give us a few reasons:

- Convenience. No need to drive anywhere or wait in line; replace your battery from your kitchen.
- Availability. Many people don’t live near an Apple Store, and don’t have another option for same-day repair.
- Privacy. Some people aren’t comfortable giving their device to someone else.
- Fun. It’s interesting to open up your stuff, find out how it works, and make it function better.

iFixit mentioned that over the last week it has noticed a 3x increase in customers using the site to replace their batteries, and in the last month just over 170,000 people specifically used the iFixit iPhone 6 battery install guide. For all iPhone models, nearly 510,000 people learned how to replace their device's battery in the last month.

Nadir98 Avatar
Would rather have someone employed and trained by Apple to fix my device for me and prevent unnecessary damage and complications than fix it by my unqualified self.
chrissoA Avatar
If you DIY the battery replacement Apple will refuse to ever work on your phone again for any other out of warranty repair. Replaced my battery on my own and when I later wanted Apple to replace a cracked screen they refused to do so for this reason. There was nothing wrong with the third party battery, they just said that as soon as they saw that when opening the phone the policy is to refuse all service on the phone. Beware of this!!!!
maflynn Avatar
Nice to see them lowering the price but two points.
First if they can afford to do this for this price, why charge so much before this? Secondly, I'd rather of Apple work on it and offer a warranty on the phone for the replacement.
keysofanxiety Avatar
Yep. I understand if you’re not close to a store but if you are then it’s a no brainer to go with Apple.

Sometimes the batteries may have expanded or there could be other complications to make it a little more difficult. If Apple bugger it up and can’t put it back together then they’ll give you a refurb. If you bugger it up then you’re buggered.
Archer1440 Avatar
Makes sense. Imagine the potential repercussions if said battery were to blow up after they worked on the screen.
maflynn Avatar
I have replaced by myself batteries, screens and front glass for years, up to the iPhone 6. Now with the water resistance I’m not sure if I’d like to do it myself. Might get the courage up when the time comes, or I might just sell the X after 2 years and upgrade.
Simple question is why??? If apple is charging 29 dollars and the work will be warrantied, why risk doing it yourself. I don't understand