The Ecobee4 will come with a built-in microphone for issuing Alexa-based voice commands, according to leaked marketing materials for the upcoming smart wireless thermostat (via The Verge).

Ecobee3 owners with supporting Amazon hardware have been able to use Alexa to control their devices since the thermostat maker added support in December, but it looks as if the next iteration of the product will include the virtual assistant as a built-in feature.

ecobee4 1
Apple initially leaked the existence of the Ecobee4 last month when it issued a list of HomeKit-compatible thermostats, while recent FCC filings showed what appeared to be a small rear-firing speaker on the upcoming device's enclosure, hinting at Alexa voice integration.

That now looks to have been confirmed, courtesy of blogger Dave Zatz, who revealed on Monday the leaked promotional material. Users of the Ecobee4 will be able to not only adjust the temperature via their voice, but also "leverage many if not all of Amazon's voice assistant capabilities" by speaking to the device, which features a signature blue Alexa light bar along the top.

Apart from Alexa integration, the ecobee4 is said to be sleeker than the existing ecobee3 thermostat, and will retain the latter's HomeKit support; Ecobee3 devices received a software update back in January that added the feature. The number of leaks combined with steep discounts on existing Ecobee3 devices suggests the Ecobee4 will launch within the next couple of months.

Tag: Ecobee

gsmornot Avatar
Wow, so what does this mean for Apple's homekit, which (from the outside looking in) appears to be floundering?
It's still included here. I think the issue is the fact that you need an Apple device to reach Siri. I don't think Apple is ready yet for Siri on 3rd party devices so if this thermostat wants direct voice control they will have to go with a service like Alexa. Maybe in the future Siri will be more open to working with other brands and Ecobee5 will include it in place of Alexa. Don't know.
[doublepost=1492519222][/doublepost]
I won't be upgrading to this! First Nest with Google and now Alexa (CIA) will be spying on us. Great. How about they fix their wireless temperature sensors first? They're always disconnecting—even ones that are only 15ft away line of sight! Their software could use a redesign too. It feels very Android-like since it's all custom and doesn't follow iOS design patterns. It's clunky and not organized well. I also feel like HomeKit has become slower to respond, and things like using Control Center to adjust the temperature is really glitchy as you'll change the temp and then it jumps around to another temperature just about every time. So you're kind of forced to use the clunky app to get it just right. I miss the Nest I had at my old house but refuse to buy something that Google makes because their values when it comes to privacy don't line up with mine.
I don't have the issues you're having but I did want to comment on the remote sensors. First, I had 2 that would disconnect but stopped after installing a new battery and going through the reset process. Basically put the battery in upside down for about 30 seconds then install a new one. Second, I would like to see humidity sensing added to the remote sensors along with one that can go outside. I would prefer if the outside temperature came from my back patio instead of a weather service that is close enough. Otherwise I really like my Ecobee's and recommend them to anyone looking for a better thermostat.
gsmornot Avatar
I'm not happy about this. Hopefully configureable to be completely disabled. Even then, I don't like my thermostat having a microphone.
The good thing is Ecobee3 is fantastic, will be around a while and is now $50 cheaper than before. I could have saved $150 on my purchase of 3 but I'm not too disappointed.
Corrode Avatar
At this point I don't want Alexa in my house due to privacy concerns.

Apple needs to release a Siri "dot" to compete with these home assistants, however, HomeKit has allowed for voice control of Ecobee for quite a while now.
Ballis Avatar
Great move by Amazon. I cant believe Apple hasnt done something similar allready with Siri, as connected they with speaker makers.

Alexa will be huge if Amazon keeps this up.
stu-bim Avatar
I don't see the benefit to havin Alexa on a thermostat. Every place I've ever been in would have the thermostat sitting in a hallway or somewhere like that (not easily within voice/audio range). Not an ideal place to talk to an Alexa device.
I would think that would be an ideal place for an 'Alexa Extension'. Simple commands as you come home, lights etc
shareef777 Avatar
I don't see how this changes anything. I'm more likely to have my phone/iPad/Mac next to me to give hands-free Siri commands vs me standing next to my thermostat to give Alexa ones. The Home app is still working flawlessly for me. Shows temp for all five of my sensors and I can adjust temp/settings as always.