Apple has agreed to a deal with the government of Indian state Karnataka to begin manufacturing iPhones in Bangalore, reports The Times of India. The Karnataka government announced that it had approved Apple's proposal to "commence initial manufacturing operations" in a press release.
Apple's desire to open a manufacturing hub in India started after Prime Minister Narendra Modi began promoting his "Made in India" initiative. Apple manufacturing partner Wistron will make the iPhones in a new plant, reportedly beginning with the iPhone 8.
Over the past couple of months, Apple and Indian officials began narrowing down possibilities to manufacture products locally. Last month, Apple finally chose a Karnataka-based facility over competing bids from other Indian states Gujarat, Maharashtra and Telangana. During negotiations, Apple was said to be seeking a number of tax and other incentives, including the possibility of long-term duty exemptions.
The government said it's in discussions with Apple for other potential collaborations, but declined to say what they could be. The move is a major step for Apple as it looks to solidify its footing in the subcontinent so it can access India's customer base.
Top Rated Comments
Where are Apple products made: Which companies make the iPhone - and where?
* Accelerometer: Bosch in Germany. Invensense in the United States.
* Audio Chipsets and Codec: Cirrus Logic in the United States (outsourced for manufacturing).
* Baseband processor: Qualcomm in the United States (outsourced for manufacturing).
* Batteries: Samsung in South Korea. Huizhou Desay Battery in China.
* Cameras: Sony in Japan. OmniVision in the United States produces the front-facing FaceTime camera chip but subcontracts TMSC (in Taiwan) for manufacturing.
* Chipsets and Processors: Samsung in South Korea and TSMC in Taiwan. Alongside their partner GlobalFoundries in the United States.
* Controller Chips: PMC Sierra and Broadcom Corp in the United States (outsourced for manufacturing).
* Display: Japan Display and Sharp in Japan. LG Display in South Korea.
* DRAM: TSMC in Taiwan. SK Hynix in South Korea.
* eCompass: Alps Electric in Japan.
* Fingerprint sensor authentication: Authentec makes it in China but outsources it to Taiwan for manufacturing.
* Flash memory: Toshiba in Japan and Samsung in South Korea.
* Gyroscope: STMicroelectronics in France and Italy.
* Inductor coils (audio): TDK in Japan.
* Main Chassis Assembly: Foxconn and Pegatron in China.
* Mixed-signal chips (such as NFC): NXP in Netherlands.
* Plastic Constructions (for the iPhone 5c): Hi-P and Green Point in Singapore.
* Radio Frequency Modules: Win Semiconductors (module manufacturers Avago and RF Micro Devices) in Taiwan. Avago technologies and TriQuint Semiconductor in the United States. Qualcomm in the United States for LTE connectivity.
* Screen and Glass (for the display): Corning (Gorilla Glass) in the United States. GT Advanced Technologies produces the sapphire crystals in the screens.
* Semiconductors: Texas Instruments, Fairchild and Maxim Integrated in the United States.
* Touch ID sensor: TSMC and Xintec in Taiwan.
* Touchscreen Controller: Broadcom in the United States (outsourced for manufacturing).
* Transmitter and Amplification Modules: Skyworks and Qorvo in the United States (outsourced for manufacturing).
India(Generally offshoring happens to India) produces 1.5 Million graduates per year in Science & Technology and that is large pool of talent for the companies. Companies can really choose some brightest brains from that pool and it is impossible to bring all that talent to US due to various limitations.
I have taken India as an example because I don't think there is another country in world which produces more than 1.5 million graduates per year in science and technology and that is one of the reasons most of the companies have their R&D centers in India. Yes they do advanced research and also build many advanced applications.
By your point...Have you heard of the violence in Chicago? There are dead bodies on the streets. You can get shot at while just driving down the highway..