Quartz yesterday published an article which analyzed data from Apple Music's Beats 1 radio station, in an attempt to get a feel for the station's most played songs and artists throughout the month of July. The company took data collected from 12,445 songs specifically from "early July to early August," and discovered that artists The Weeknd, Drake, and Disclosure were the top three most-played musicians for the month.

beats 1 data
The Weeknd was also on top of the most played song chart, with the song "Can't Feel My Face" -- which he performed live at WWDC in June -- played a total of 107 times in July. Artists including Rachel Platten, Beck, and Selena Gomez, amongst others, round out the rest of the list thanks to the popularity of their current chart-topping songs "Fight Song," "Dreams," and "Good for You," respectively.

Beats 1 has something that is rare in the world of digital music: scarcity. Listeners can’t choose a song and play it over and over. (They can do that elsewhere on Apple Music.) But curation doesn’t mean songs aren’t repeated. We counted 12,445 tracks but only 3,371 unique songs, meaning each track was played an average of 3.7 times. Eighteen of the 20 songs in the table above were played over 50 times.

Quartz also found the top genre on Beats 1 to be hip-hop (1,726 plays), with alternative (1,506 plays) and electronic (802 plays) rounding out the top three spots. Still, "a quarter of the songs in the dataset" that Quartz measured were only played one time, so Beats 1 is still managing to present a few diverse tracks into the mix every once in a while.

Quartz Beats 1 Genres
The response to Apple Music has been mixed, with the service's detractors pointing to the initial speed bumps syncing with iTunes and an over-reliance on specific musical genres in Beats 1, the latter of which Quartz has now detailed. The rest of Quartz's report on Beats 1 is definitely worth checking out, with charts analyzing the volume of songs played on weekdays versus the weekend and even one highlighting songs played most frequently in pairs.

brendu Avatar
I stopped listening to Beats 1 because I'm not into hip hop and that's all they ever play when I've tuned in. I prefer 'for you' because I'm always finding new things I really like.
keysofanxiety Avatar
"We want to make a radio station just for music, not one specific genre like other stations"

Bunch of deluded airheads.
TheAppleFairy Avatar
There is classical music in AM, it is just not played on Beats 1. AM is more than just Beats 1.
I am more into Rock, Country, 80's, 90's, 90's grunge, Southern Rock, Metal, alternative, indie rock, indie pop, even rap pre-90's.

Pretty much anything that isn't the current urban music.
5105973 Avatar
Who are all those people?
Scary, isn't it. On that list I know only the names of Drake, Selena Gomez and Florence and The Machine, and of those three, the only one whose music I've actually heard is Florence + The Machine. I might have heard Drake but not realized it.

Among the kids I know, they don't seem to actually enjoy hip-hop and rap but they will brag about listening to it because they think it makes them cool. I've heard a handful of rap singles I liked because there was a solid story in them. But everything else I've heard in passing is :confused:. And some of it is so misogynistic that I fear my mother's generation burned their bras in vain. So much nylon and cotton and polyester died for nothing. :(

However, the genres of music I'm interested in are just as easily made fun of and dismissed. Thank you, Blake Shelton, for the immortal refrain "chew tobacco, chew tobacco, spit!" :rolleyes: I'm sure he pulled that one from the depths of his soul. :p
TheAppleFairy Avatar
On the entire list the only two "artist" I have ever heard of are Beck and Selena Gomez. Out of those two the only song I know is "Where it's at".
DarkWinter Avatar
Surprised that Pharrell isn't on that list! :p

I have to admit that I was very impressed for the first couple of days when Beats 1 launched, but soon found that more or less the same songs and artists were repeated over and over after that.