Apple Launches Web Tool to Deregister Phone Numbers from iMessage

Apple today released a new web tool for users to deregister their phone number from iMessage in the event they switched to a non-Apple device. To deregister a phone number from iMessage, users simply enter their phone number in Apple's web tool, receive a free text message containing a code, and submit the code to complete the process. Users who still have their original iPhone can also transfer their SIM card back to the device and go to Settings -> Messages to turn iMessage off.

deregisterimessage
Users switching from an iPhone to another device were often unable to receive SMS messages from another iPhone due to their phone number still being linked to iMessage. These specific errors with iMessage have been a well-known issue since 2011, which is when the messaging service debuted with iOS 5. They were also made even more apparent this past May, where a server glitch caused widespread message delivery problems. Apple was even sued over the matter in a California court, although the company claimed that it was aware of the issue and could not provide a fix.

Apple's web tool for deregistering phone numbers from iMessage is available now.

iOS 18 CarPlay Feature

iOS 18 Adds These 5 New Features to CarPlay

Thursday June 13, 2024 7:44 am PDT by
iOS 18 Wallet Feature

Here's What's New in Apple Wallet on iOS 18 for Event Tickets and More

Friday June 14, 2024 7:32 am PDT by
maxresdefault

First Look at Messages via Satellite in iOS 18

Thursday June 13, 2024 11:29 am PDT by
iOS 18 Siri Integrated Feature

You Can Give Siri a New Name With iOS 18's Vocal Shortcuts

Friday June 14, 2024 4:33 pm PDT by
Apple in iOS 18 added a Vocal Shortcuts accessibility feature, and now that iOS 18 is available in a beta capacity, users have figured out that this option can be used to give Siri a new wake word. With Vocal Shortcuts, you can assign a custom phrase that Siri can understand to launch shortcuts and complete "complex tasks," and one of the shortcuts you can set up is an alternative for "Hey...

6749974 Avatar
It took them 3 years to fix it? Shame.
whcchief Avatar
What do they do when they eventually come back to iPhone? Un-Deregister?

I figured that was obvious, sign-in to iMessage.
TechGod Avatar
OMG! Finally!
Steviejobz Avatar
What do they do when they eventually come back to iPhone? Un-Deregister?
Alenore Avatar
This is several years over due. It is sad it took a law suit for apple to fix the basic flaw in their system making like hell if you wanted to leave iOS. It showed apple's shear arrogance that they thought no one would want to leave. This should of been done very early on and code wise is fairly easy to do unless your db designed is complete and utter crap.

One simple SQL statement is all it should of taken and then the code to fire up.

Delete from phonenumber where number =?.
Something like that. Nothing crazy as it should be in a separate table. Workaround is set said phone number to "" or null.

What makes you think they even use SQL in the first place. In the real world everything isn't as easy as deleting a database record.
TechCritic Avatar
This tool is not overdue, it is NOT even required!

Is people so dumb? How hard is it to disabling iMessage before transfering the sims. Common sense people.

:rolleyes:

"Is people so dumb?" - You seriously think you're qualified to report on the intelligence of others?

As someone who experienced this issue when I made the decision to switch to Android in March, I can tell you that it absolutely was not that simple. I switched off iMessage a week before I made the switch. I also removed my number from my Apple account in every place possible, and I still had MAJOR issues. I'm much more technically inclined than the average user and I took every possible measure to avoid a problem before I switched and it didn't help. In researching it, it was obvious that the problem has been going on for YEARS and Apple simply refused to fix it or even acknowledge that there was a problem. The information available on their website claimed that it was as simple as disabling iMessage and also that it might take up to 45 DAYS. Absolutely ridiculous.

Even two weeks after I made the switch, having taken all possible preparations in advance I was still having issues. I was even having issues with iPhone numbers that I had never once texted before I made the switch. I verified through testing that texts to my phone from an iPhone number I had never called or texted before did not go through. It only worked when I changed the default option for "Send as SMS" from off to on. Btw, upon the switch to iOS7 Apple reset that option to off for all iPhones regardless of how it was set before the update ensuring that this problem would continue, since surely an iPhone user is so concerned about using up their text messages that they would prefer for failed iMessages not to be sent as texts. They also don't want to be notified that their message failed to send.

It's pretty obvious why Apple refused to fix this problem until they were sued. It made people who switched away from iPhone think there was a problem with their new phone. They switched and all of a sudden they're not getting their text messages. 99% of users would think that the problem was with their new phone, and they did. Apple not only hurt their former customers with their actions, they also damaged the businesses of other manufacturers, retailers, and carriers. Hopefully those businesses are able to sue Apple for the damage they intentionally caused.

Apple fans - admit it, either Apple is totally incompetent or Apple was maliciously holding former iPhone owners numbers hostage to trick them into thinking there was a problem with their new phone. Take your pick. I'm willing to concede either, but I don't think they're stupid. They're very good a manipulating the uninformed.