pixelmator.jpgPopular Photoshop alternative Pixelmator today announced that it is planning to introduce a new Repair Tool in an upcoming 3.2 "Sandstone" update, allowing users to remove dust, blemishes, and entire objects from images with "an unsurpassed level of precision and quality."

To promote the future update, which will be available for free to existing Pixelmator users, the app is on sale for half off for the next week, dropping the price from $29.99 to $14.99.

Pixelmator regularly updates its image editing software, with the future 3.2 update following its January 3.1 update, which added full support for the Mac Pro, with 16-bit per channel images, full GPU support, and optimizations for the multi-core processors in the computer.

Back in October, the app was also updated with Mavericks support and a new image editing engine, greatly enhancing its performance.

Pixelmator can be downloaded from the App Store for $14.99. [Direct Link]

Goldfrapp Avatar
The new repair/healing tool is truly mind-blowing.
somethingelsefl Avatar
I just bought this app because of MR's post and because the reviews have been stellar. The reviews are accurate. The repair/heal tool is AMAZING. It took me less than 30 seconds to edit this photo from a busy Airshow I went to a few weeks ago. [I got rid of the woman to the left]

I cannot speak more highly about this app. It runs great on my late 2008 iMac. Great buy.
jayducharme Avatar
I don't know why but I can never do real work on this app... I always end up opening Adobe Photoshop CC

I'd been using PS for over a decade and finally dumped Adobe and have been liking Pixelmator a lot. The work flow is much different from PS, but I've adjusted and am doing just fine with it. Looking forward to the update.
Jessica Lares Avatar
Yay! Got all my Adobe replacements then now! :D
rudychidiac Avatar
IJ Reilly Avatar
I own this software and I can say it is no where near as practical as PS. However it is good for moms and dads or little kids. Very simple to use. I have not touched it in over a year. I regret buying it, forgot how much I paid but at least it wouldn't have been much. I will check out this new repair tool when the update hits though, close inspection of the video shows some imperfections in the background. They have been able to get away with a lot using sand background because of the organic texture it is hard not to do a good job. Wait to try this on a text background and you will have a bit of manual fixing to do.

I'm not a mom, dad, or a little kid, and I find it to be very useful, and a terrific bargain besides. I think you are confusing simplicity of use with a lack of power. A common mistake.