Microsoft Office for iOS and Android Arriving in November?

BGR reports that Microsoft is planning to launch Office for iOS in November this year, with the source claiming first-hand knowledge of the software running on an iPad. With the app's splash screen referring to it as "Office for iOS", the source also speculates that the app may also be coming to the smaller screens of the iPhone and iPod touch. In addition to its iOS effort, Microsoft is also said to be bringing Office to Android-based tablets in the same timeframe.

Microsoft had indicated soon after the launch of the original iPad that it was investigating the possibility of bringing Office to the platform, but ultimately stated that it had no plans for such an effort. The Daily has since claimed several times that Office for iPad is in fact in the works, reporting in February that it had even had hands-on time with a prototype of the app.

022112 tech apps office ss
Photo of claimed Office prototype app running on an iPad (Source: The Daily)

Microsoft denied the claim, but The Daily continues to stand by its report. Suggesting that there may have been a misunderstanding somewhere, Microsoft stated that the situation would become "clear in the coming weeks". No such clarification has yet surfaced, however.

Related Roundup: iPad
Buyer's Guide: iPad (Caution)
Related Forum: iPad

iPhone 15 Pro Cameras

iPhone 17 Pro Max Will Be First Model to Feature Three 48MP Cameras

Thursday July 11, 2024 12:20 am PDT by
Beyond iPhone 13 Better Blue Face ID Single Camera Hole

10 Reasons to Wait for Next Year's iPhone 17

Monday July 8, 2024 5:00 am PDT by
maxresdefault

Apple's AirPods Pro 2 vs. Samsung's Galaxy Buds3 Pro

Saturday July 13, 2024 8:00 am PDT by
Samsung this week introduced its latest earbuds, the Galaxy Buds3 Pro, which look quite a bit like Apple's AirPods Pro 2. Given the similarities, we thought we'd compare Samsung's new earbuds to the AirPods Pro. Subscribe to the MacRumors YouTube channel for more videos. Design wise, you could potentially mistake Samsung's Galaxy Buds3 Pro for the AirPods Pro. The Buds3 Pro have the same...
primeday2020 feature3

The Best Early Prime Day Deals on Apple Products

Saturday July 13, 2024 6:23 am PDT by
Amazon is soon to be back with its annual summertime Prime Day event, lasting for just two days from July 16-17. As it does every year, Prime Day offers shoppers a huge selection of deals across Amazon's storefront, and there are already many deals you can get on sale ahead of the event. Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Amazon. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may...

3N16MA Avatar
Whenever I see the words Microsoft I get a headache.

Brings back bad memories.
You should go see a doctor if a simple name gives you headaches. ;)
adildacoolset Avatar
I do hope microsoft ARE making office for iPad. Its just the thing about computing: microsoft office is the best office app around
kyjaotkb Avatar
Whenever I see the words Microsoft I get a headache.

Brings back bad memories.
Excel is IMHO one of the most important breakthrough in human productivity in the last decades. It is a totally amazing piece of software.
stridemat Avatar
For me this is a deal breaker for using the iPad at work. That is if it fully maintains formatting etc when editing documents created on a PC. To date the apps available cause me more problems.
coolbreeze Avatar
Hate all you want on MSFT, but this would be outstanding for most people - specifically enterprise users.

Looking forward to it.
joshsage Avatar
I hope they don't price it that high. I don't think it's worth more than $9.99 an app. Especially because there are sure to be compatibility issues.

Really? I get minimum 35/hr doing my work in excel. I would gladly pay 80 so I can do the work on my iPad or iPhone when I need to. Sign me up. I don't know what you are doing w/ yours, but these are worth it for OFFICE apps.