Alongside the OS X Mountain Lion developer preview released today, Apple has also pushed out Safari 5.2 for Lion to developers. The update brings a number of new features that will be included with Safari in OS X Mountain Lion later this year.

safari 5 2 dev
Among the new additions are a unified address/search bar, new persistent Reader icon that is blue when available and grey when inactive, and new URL styling to highlight the domain the page is on while deemphasizing other aspects of the URL.

safari 5 2 window
Apple has not said when it plans to release Safari 5.2 for OS X Lion to the public, but it will presumably do so alongside OS X Mountain Lion in "late summer". Apple just recently began seeding Safari 5.1.4 to developers, and the company will likely continue with the 5.1.x line on Lion until the Mountain Lion launch.

drewcosten Avatar
P.S. Who still uses RSS feeds?

Quite a few people. It's the best way to keep up to date on news and blogs (it's how I read all the MacRumors posts). RSS means I don't have to surf to the dozens of sites I follow multiple times a day to check for updates. I check one site (Google Reader), either in a browser or through a Google Reader app, and all the updates are right there. Without RSS I'd be wasting a lot more time than I already do. :)
Cougarcat Avatar
Does it fix the random tab reloading?
vea1083 Avatar
And how many of these bugs have you reported to Apple?

Here's a hint:
Apple doesn't employ engineers to trawl the internet looking for badly written, close to incoherent posts that vent about how awful OSX is without giving a single concrete example of a problem.
What they DO do is employ engineers to look at well-writte, detailed bug reports, and then fix those bugs.

It's your choice --- you can rant some more about how much you hate Apple, how unjust it is that anyone ever charge you $30 for anything, and how once you have bought a product you deserve support for the rest of your life.
OR you can submit intelligent bug reports to Apple and be part of the solution.
You should watch your typing... I am a registered developer at Apple and have done my homework, the other bug reports were sent via their automatic crash report that appears when one application crashes.

Here's a hint to you: Don't label someone a "hater" just because I wrote something you don't want to read.

As for the "support to the rest of your life" argument if you re read the post I did not said that nor implied it. I suggest reading the whole post again and get back to me then.

So now how many bugs have you filed???

BTW, I can send you the whole reports and files if you want to fix them for me.
Cougarcat Avatar

The tab reloading isn't random. Pages are refreshed when there is no interaction on the page for exactly 30 minutes. But I do hate this too.

I realize that it's intended behavior, I just can't for the life of me figure out why. When I have youtube links open in the background, and everything reloads, then I have youtube videos spontaneously playing. How can that possibly be a good idea?
Northgrove Avatar
I recommend Reeder for a better alternative than Safari ever was for RSS.
hamis92 Avatar
What, RSS is gone? This has gotta be the worst version of Safari I've encountered thus far. I jumped on the Mac bandwagon with Mac OS X Tiger when RSS was one of the most heavily trumpeted new features in Safari 2, and I've used it ever since. Seriously hope it makes a comeback before the release - I see no reason why they removed it.

And what's up with the iPad-style tab bar? Now I have to constantly refocus my mouse pointer in order to close a few tabs that are next to each other. It may work on the iPad where there's no mouse but on the Mac... That was the case with Safari 4 betas as well which had resizing tabs on top (which I hated). They changed it back so here's hoping they will do the same here.