mobileme discontinued
Apple today posted a new support document outlining the transition from the company's existing MobileMe service to the new iCloud service announced today. According to the document, Apple has automatically extended all MobileMe subscriptions active as of today through June 30, 2012 free of charge.

Effective June 6, 2011, if you had an active MobileMe account, your service has been automatically extended through June 30, 2012, at no additional charge. After this, the MobileMe service will no longer be available.

When iCloud rolls out later this year, MobileMe users will be able to keep their me.com email addresses and shift all of their mail, contacts, calendars, and bookmarks to the new service.

In anticipation of the forthcoming transition, Apple is no longer offering free MobileMe trials and no longer supporting MobileMe upgrades to Family Packs or storage capacity. For those users who have MobileMe activation codes that have yet to be applied, Apple has also posted information on how to request a refund.

Rich2k Avatar
What about my 20Gb iDisk that I extensively use?
BLACKFRIDAY Avatar
Awesome.

What a wonderful WWDC. I wanted more but now I believe Apple is on the right track.

This was just amazing.

I'll be using my iDisk's 20GB space till June next year though. :D
NebulaClash Avatar
So, all my loyalty for MobileMe dollars paid, and my emails etc are going the way of the DoDo Bird.
I am NOT buying a new phone and computer again, just so I can use a service for free, that is screwing me out of the service I paid for, and expected to last.
What a hassle to now have to change my billing emails, subscription emails, family, friends and other assorted contacts to a new GMAIL address.
Too bad, so much for loyalty!!

Why do you have to change anything, let alone buy new equipment? Just switch your current info to iCloud and you keep all your information exactly as it is.
milhouse994 Avatar
I think by extending MobileMe to June of next year, Apple are setting the expectation that anyone who has paid for it is getting the full term of service. It just so happens that iCloud comes along before that term is potentially up and replaces a lot of that functionality for free. It's still not clear that everything MobileMe does now will be in iCloud (galleries, web-based mail, calendaring etc) so there is still some value to MobileMe beyond iCloud's release.

This is speaking as someone who just two weeks ago auto-renewed their subscription to MobileMe and would more than happy to take a partial refund! Either way, I'm still getting the service I paid for, they aren't shutting it off before my subscription ends.
milhouse994 Avatar

What about the photo galleries? These and the contacts are the best bits of mobileMe.

I have the same question. I can't find any information about galleries although it's possible that will come. I got MobileMe mainly for the calendar, contact syncing between devices even though I could have done it for free with other solutions. MobileMe was the most efficient and streamlined and seemed worth it. I love the simple gallery interface though, so I moved everything from Flickr which I've never loved. I hope they keep a gallery feature.
richphoto Avatar
You will still get the service you paid for and decided to buy. Just there is something else available that is free. Why complain?

well, many of us will long term loyal apple customers (31 years) will be paying extra for what everyone else will get for free