New in OS X: Get MacRumors Push Notifications on your Mac

Resubscribe Now Close

Apple to Reset iCloud Backups on September 22nd, Ahead of iOS 5 GM?


Apple is planning to reset all iCloud backup data on September 22nd, 2011. As noted by 9to5Mac, the announcement was posted to Apple's developer site for both iOS and Mac developers:
On Thursday, September 22, the iCloud Backup data will be reset. Backing up to iCloud or restoring from an iCloud backup will be unavailable from 9 AM PDT – 5 PM PDT. If you attempt a backup or restore during this time, you will receive an alert that the backup or restore was not successful. After this reset, you will be unable to restore from any backup created prior to September 22. A full backup will happen automatically the next time your device backs up to iCloud.
Apple's iOS 5 has been undergoing developer testing since its announcement back in June. Developers have been able to test iCloud for backups and storage during the developer betas.

Apple has provided 7 betas to developers thus far, and had been previously rumored to be offering the Golden Master (final version before release) on September 23rd. That same rumor had also incorrectly pinpointed a Beta 8 release a few days ago, but the 23rd date seems to line up nicely with this iCloud backup reset.

Apple had said that iOS 5 would launch "this fall" which technically begins on September 23rd.

Top Rated Comments

(View all)

43 months ago
owww i was planning on backing up my ipod on that day :mad:
Rating: 15 Votes
43 months ago
Speaking of pirating, talk like a pirate day is September 19th! Don't miss it! :D Might have to plunder us some iOS 5 booty... Sorry, I couldn't resist.

EDIT: Now comes the interesting part: Vote down for no sense of humor, vote up for otherwise. Lets see how it goes!
Rating: 9 Votes
43 months ago

Or it means keynote is on 22nd with VERY short notice for invites?


I'd be suprised, but all I can say is that this will probably end being an interesting week.
Rating: 8 Votes
43 months ago

I think it's a huge jump to think that a data reset implies that the release date will follow the next day, or even very shortly afterward.

A data reset suggests that Apple is changing something fundamental (e.g. the format), or otherwise fixing something that can't be done without a reset. If I were doing that, I'd want to beta test that for a while (with developers in this case), before going GM with it. The length of that test would depend on how confident I was of it being problem-free, and whether any additional problems/needed changes turn up.

Once it goes GM, the cost of a reset goes way up, both in data transfer and customer confidence. So, they would want to be very confident that they won't need to do that again, at least in the foreseeable future.


You have ruined the mood now lol
Rating: 7 Votes
43 months ago

It's fully functional but piracy.


Ohh, well if the official comes out two weeks normally after the gm I guess I can wait. Thanks though.
Rating: 6 Votes
43 months ago

Wait so, if I store backups with apple, that means that they can delete them anytime they want? Or make them unavailable for a certain period of time?

This is why I don't subscribe to any cloud stuff.

And this is why Apple is going to have to try much harder to convince the majority of the public that it's a good idea to have their backups in the clouds.


Or rather that is why you should check the meaning of the word "beta" before you get into a beta testing.
Rating: 6 Votes
43 months ago
I hope the invites go out tomorrow with and event on Friday. That would be cool.
Rating: 5 Votes
43 months ago
Let's forget about what Apple "usually does". Apple usually releases an iPhone every June/July, but obviously that didn't happen. So we need to be open to anything at this point.

This isn't realistic by any means, but who's to say that Apple won't send out invites tomorrow and have the event by Thursday or Friday? It's "unusual" for Apple to do this, of course. But, I'm looking at all possibilities here. even if chances are slim.

and GM doesn't HAVE to be released right when the keynote happens. Although it has been that way before, things can change. especially this time around.

Whatever is going to happen, I just wanna be able to pre-order the iPhone 5 by September 30th and have it by October 7th.
Rating: 5 Votes
42 months ago
Hi Theperipheral

So for years on iOS devices when you plug them into the computer it makes a backup in iTunes so that if you need to restore/get a replacement phone you can just restore your information and it's like nothing even changed.

iCloud lets you store that backup file online now rather than in iTunes so all you need is an internet connection to restore your phone from backup

Apple specifically stated they will be wiping all these iCloud backups prior to GM release. Apple is wiping the iCloud Backups today.

Basically it means we're getting closer to the GM. By some rare miracle we might see the GM tomorrow, probably less than 0.05% chance, otherwise there's a 99.95% chance it's coming October 4th.
Rating: 5 Votes
42 months ago
Last time kids.

Apple will not release the GM before any new iPhone is announced because if they did people would find out about the new phone before it is announced. The GM will have specific info on said new phone.
Rating: 5 Votes

[ Read All Comments ]