What you may not know is that you can change the icons of many third-party HomeKit accessories to something that lets you distinguish them more easily. This is a particularly good way to represent what device you have plugged into a smart switch, for instance. Here's how it works.
How to Change HomeKit Accessory Icons
- Launch the Home app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Press and hold the accessory whose icon you would like to change.
- Tap Settings at the bottom right of the screen.
- Locate the icon next to the accessory name. If there's an orange square around the icon, you can change it. Tap it to do so.
- Choose a new icon by tapping it. In our example, you can change the default light bulb icon to a floor lamp, desk lamp, or ceiling lamp.
- Tap Done.
- Tap Done again.
- Tap once more to return to the main Home screen.