You can set up custom parental controls for each child who will be using your Mac by adding separate user accounts. Alternatively, you can set up a guest account with parental controls enabled.
The below steps show you how to turn on parental controls for an existing user account. To create a new user account on your Mac with parental controls, check out our separate how-to article on the subject.
How to Turn on macOS Parental Controls for an Existing User Account
- Click the Apple () symbol in the top left corner of your Mac's screen and select System Preferences....
- Click Users & Groups.
- Click the lock in the lower left corner of the window.
- Type in your admin password if prompted and click Unlock.
- Select a user account in the side column and then tick the checkbox next to Enable parental controls.
- Click the lock again in the lower left corner of the window to secure your changes and finish.