You can set up custom parental controls for each child who will be using your Mac by adding separate user accounts. Alternatively you can set up a guest account for anyone to use, but with parental controls enabled.
The below steps show you how to add a new named account to macOS with parental controls. If you want to turn on parental controls for an existing user account, check out our separate how-to article which guides you through the process.
How to Create a User Account With Parental Controls
- Click the Apple () symbol in the top left corner of your Mac's screen and select System Preferences....
- Click Users & Groups.
- Click the lock in the lower left corner of the window.
- Type in your admin password if prompted.
- Click Unlock.
- Click the plus (+) at the bottom left of the account column to add a user account.
- In the New Account dropdown, select Managed with Parental Controls, then fill in the account fields, including a new verified password.
- Click Create User.
To disable parental controls for this account at any time, simply uncheck the box. For more details on managing the restrictions associated with parental controls, click here.