iOS 18's Rumored AI Features for Siri, Spotlight, and More Revealed in New Report

Apple system features such as Siri and Spotlight Search are set to receive new AI features that work across apps like Messages, Mail, and Safari, AppleInsider reports.

Apple Silicon AI Optimized Feature Siri
Safari will apparently gain a text summarization tool called Intelligent Browsing that allows users to generate a short summary of any webpage, and ‌Siri‌ could gain a similar feature that works in the Messages app. Apple's AI technology can apparently analyze message content and generate responses. Spotlight search will be enhanced with more intelligent results and improved sorting, working across apps like Contacts and Calendar to generate responses.

Crucially, Apple's AI tools run-on device, with the ability to generate responses without any cloud-based processing, to maximize privacy and minimize delays. More advanced replies and summaries seem to require sever-side processing. Apple is widely expected to unveil the suite of AI features when it previews major updates to its operating systems at WWDC in June.

Related Roundup: iOS 18

iPhone 16 Pro Max Generic Feature 2

5 Biggest Changes Rumored for iPhone 16 Pro Max

Tuesday May 21, 2024 7:29 am PDT by

cardfan Avatar
3 weeks ago
Not sure how this helps me. Hopefully we can turn this nonsense off.
newyorksole Avatar
3 weeks ago
I still haven’t personally used AI for anything and don’t know how I would even start considering I keep my devices pretty organized and it’s easy for me to search things myself.
Fuzzball84 Avatar
3 weeks ago

Not sure how this helps me. Hopefully we can turn this nonsense off.
Some like it, some dont. Always good to have the option.
AppliedMicro Avatar
3 weeks ago
Text summarisation has been available and built into Mac OS X, running on-device since (at least) the days of Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger", 15 years ago:

So I guess the news is: Something similar may soon come to an iOS device near you as an "Artificial Intelligence" feature.

In other recent news: Artificially intelligent Siri fails to tell the time ('https://www.macrumors.com/2024/05/02/homepod-siri-time-bug/') when you ask it.
contacos Avatar
3 weeks ago

Ah, cool. Like I’ve been able to do on my pixel 8 pro. I actually find it helpful, so I am hoping for the same helpful results on my fleet of apple devices.
Already available by 3rd parties as well. Even translates it. Yes, even on my old iPhone 12 from work but I am sure Apple will limit it to the iPhone 16 for on reason.

I am sure Apple is also going to make you pay for it via a iCloud subscription

Attachment Image
maxoakland Avatar
3 weeks ago
Wait so their big feature ideas are… summarizing web pages and responding to text messages for you?

These aren’t exciting features and frankly responding to messages for me is an off-putting idea. I don’t want to be less connected to the people in my life or have an AI bot in between our communication