Two New AirPods 4 Models Expected to Launch in September or October

Apple suppliers will begin production of two new fourth-generation AirPods models in May, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman. Based on this production timeframe, he expects the headphones to be released in September or October.

airpods 3 orange
Gurman expects both fourth-generation AirPods models to feature a new design with better fit, improved sound quality, and an updated charging case with a USB-C port. The higher-end ones will also feature active noise cancellation and a speaker in the charging case that can play a sound for Find My location tracking, he said.

Apple plans to discontinue the second-generation and third-generation AirPods after launching the two fourth-generation models, he previously said.

Gurman does not expect new AirPods Pro to launch until next year at the earliest, but he said the current models will get a new hearing aid mode with iOS 18. He added that Apple is also working on a hearing test feature for AirPods.

Related Roundup: AirPods 3
Buyer's Guide: AirPods (Don't Buy)
Related Forum: AirPods

NT1440 Avatar
5 weeks ago
They better keep a non-silicon tip version available.

I’ve been an AirPods user since day one, literally ordered them the first day you could.

I will NEVER use a version that sticks a plunger in my ear.
tuckerjj Avatar
5 weeks ago
Hmm, time to stock up on 2nd gen AirPods. These are my “sleeping” airpods since they’re the only ones with stems thin enough to wear comfortably when my ear is on the pillow. My getting a good nights sleep is dependent on these!
mrgrdn Avatar
5 weeks ago
I'm curious to see what the third generation of AirPods Pro can do. I've had mine for two years now, and they've proven to be really good. I never thought I'd be so impressed. I've tried numerous headphones, on-ear, in-ear, and so on, but none have been as good as the AirPods Pro. They're indispensable at work, and especially the 3D audio is impressive, whether it's listening to music or watching movies on the Apple TV in the evenings. These headphones are worth every damn penny.
Volk.JP Avatar
5 weeks ago
I wish they would update the second-gen design with a new button and chip. They have superior comfort compared to third-gen, let alone Pros. It would be such a shame if they would discontinue them.
MysteriousStain Avatar
5 weeks ago
If Apple can make a $200 hearing aid then that would be amazing. The amount of money my parents spent on those things over the years would buy a good used car, that industry needs shaking up.
turbineseaplane Avatar
5 weeks ago
I just don't get the kerfuffle about lossless on AirPods

It's probably because I'm getting older and I absolutely can't hear like I used to be able to
None of us can as we age

Doesn't "lossless" matter more on really high end full size headphones or speakers or something?