iOS 17.1 Beta 2 Fixes Messages Search Bug on iPhone 15 Models

A bug impacting search functionality in the Messages app for some iPhone 15 users appears to be fixed in the second beta of iOS 17.1 released this week.

iOS 17 Messages Feature
Some early adopters of iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Pro models have complained that the Messages app's search tool only displays recent messages after transferring content from another iPhone. The issue has been mentioned by several users across the MacRumors Forums and Reddit since the devices launched earlier this month.

The bug is present on all iOS 17 versions up to the first iOS 17.1 beta, but many affected users said it has been fixed as of the second iOS 17.1 beta. It may take a day or longer for the device to index and restore the older messages after installing the update. Some users said they needed to open the Settings app, tap on Messages, tap on Siri & Search, turn off all of the settings shown, restart the iPhone, and re-enable those settings to fix the issue.

iOS 17.1 is expected to be released in late October, so users not interested in installing the beta might have to wait a few more weeks for the fix.

(Thanks, Ray Wong!)

Related Roundups: iOS 17, iPadOS 17
Related Forums: iOS 17, iPadOS 17

iOS 17

Apple Sheds More Light on iOS 17.5 Bug That Resurfaced Deleted Photos

Friday May 24, 2024 2:36 am PDT by

Mr. Dee Avatar
My iPhone X is stuck at iOS 16, but if it supported iOS 17, I wouldn't be upgrading until late summer 2024 anyway.
I am realizing, both the hardware and software these days, its best to wait a while before upgrading.
I won't purchase the iPhone 16 Pro Max until iOS 18.3.
tobefirst ⚽️ Avatar
Ooh. Interesting. I think I was one of the ones affected. I just assumed I was losing my mind. I guess that still might be true.
Joe Rossignol Avatar

Thank goodness. Very frustrating losing all my message photos and links, making search useless.

Can anyone else confirm that this truly fixes the problem?
@Banglazed just commented in another thread that Apple told them via Feedback app that there was a change/fix implemented in iOS 17.1 beta 2.
Risco Avatar

Brilliant, I will wait until final release. At least there is now a fix.
Risco Avatar

Can anyone else confirm that this truly fixes the problem?
villi Avatar
I have messages dating back to 2013. With iOS 17 and my iP15Pro, messages were indexed to Aug 2023, and with iOS 17 beta 2, it indexed to 6/30/2021. I downloaded iOS 17 beta 3 last night, reset Siri and Search settings, restarted, plugged in my phone, and I woke up with messages indexed back to 2013.